A Date

"It's Saturday morning there right?" Veronica asks her daughter on the phone.

"Yes, it is," Lilliana shuffles getting ready for work with the phone to one ear.

"You sound like you're getting ready to go out, anything nice planned?"

"Azzy and I have work this morning then I have a date this afternoon," The interview went well for both girls, Lilliana got the library position while Azalea got the admissions desk job.

"A date?" Veronica sounds surprised.

Movement on the other end makes Lilliana laugh when hears her dad's voice, "You have a date? With who? Is he nice? Don't let him take advantage of you."

"Blimey dad, I won't," She laughs, she spoke to Rami every night since she met him and two days ago they officially made plans for their date. She's honestly so excited to see him again, "But he's lovely honest, his name is Rami Malek and we're just meeting for a coffee and seeing how it goes."

"Well if it goes well you'll have to tell us all about him when you come home for Christmas," Taking the phone back from her husband, Veronica continues, "You're still coming home right?"

"Absolutely, wouldn't miss it for the world," She misses her family greatly but she has settled into life in New York, "We break up for Christmas break on Friday the 14th of December and my plane home is the next morning, I don't come back until the 3rd of January. It gives me a week to get over the jet lag before the term starts again."

"Good. I'll let you go so you can finish getting ready. Love you."

"Love you too, mum, you too dad, bye," She puts the phone down and knocks on Azalea's bedroom door to remind her she has work in two hours then puts her shoes on and grabs her bag.

------

Her work shift was busy so time passed quickly, but as she reached the end of her shift, she wished it would slow down as nerves set in for her date with Rami.

Clocking out she is jumped on by Azalea, "Hi."

"Christ, Azzy you're going to give someone a heart attack doing that. What are you doing up here?"

"I'm on my break and I came to tell you that Lover Boy is waiting in reception for you."

"Thanks," Lilliana mutters.

"What's up?" Azalea picks up on her friend's unease, "You don't wanna go out with him? I can go tell him to leave if you want?"

"You remember I told you what happened with Paul?" She has nightmares every so often about him and Azalea heard her crying one night and went to check on her so Lilliana told her the truth.

"Yeah, the sick bastard deserves to rot in hell," Or die by a torturous death at the hands of her and Lilliana's family, but the second option isn't legal so...

"Because of that, I'm nervous. I've never had a boyfriend, I've never been on a date," The only relationship she has had with a guy is what she had with Paul and all he wanted was her body.

"Well from the small conversation I just had with him, he seems nice enough and I can tell he's into you. To risk sounding like a mum, go have fun, you work too hard."

"Thanks, Azzy," She is aware that when she goes home for Christmas and stops she will probably feel run down, "I'll see you tonight."

Meeting Rami in the foyer, she follows him to their date destination, which started with a trip to the nearby cafe, "So are you in New York alone for Uni or do you live here with your family?" She asks once they sat at a table.