Secrets

"John?" Veronica calls out lightly upon waking in the middle of the night to find his side of the bed empty.

Getting out of bed, she passes Joshua's nursery then Robert's room, Michael's and Laura's checking they're all asleep and for John but she already knows where he'll be. Reaching the top of the stairs to the loft conversation, she finds her husband standing looking at the paintings and sketches in Lilliana's art studio.

She softly wraps an arm around his waist and the other rubs his arm comfortingly. It's the third night running she's found him in here, he speaks after a moment, "She really is very talented. I could never draw or paint like this. These should be in galleries or being sold in shops, not in our little attic."

Smiling to herself she admires Lilliana's artwork. Sketches of her family, of Queen and Tiger. Paintings of landscapes, scenes that inspired her and animals, usually Tiger or Freddie's cats. She goes over to feed them all the time, missing her Uncle.

After losing Tiger they thought about getting Lilliana another dog or pet but she told her parents no, if she's moving for Uni she can't have a pet with her, she'll wait till the day she's settled in her own place before getting another pet.

"What did the police say today?" Three nights ago Lilliana went missing, vanishing from inside the house without any notice or evidence of who might have taken her. Police didn't declare her missing until two nights ago, the only evidence they do have that she was taken is a muddy boot print by her bedroom window and the cable to her bedside phone being cut.

"There's nothing, it's like she disappeared into thin air," He runs a hand through his hair exiting the art studio and going into Lilliana's bedroom.

He's done this every night since praying to find some bit of evidence he or the police might have missed. He turns back to her tears in his eyes.

"John," Veronica cups his face, keeping her voice soft as though speaking to one of the children to soothe them, "Come back to bed, love."

"I-" His voice breaks, "I can't. I can't sleep, knowing she's missing and I have no idea if she's died or alive. I should have pushed her to tell me about what's been going on."

"You think it's related?"

"Yes, I think it has everything to do with it. I've mentioned it to the police but because I don't know what it was about it's no help. I've contacted everyone I can think of to keep an eye out for her. Brian and Roger have been driving all over London looking for her, Freddie says he hasn't seen her but will keep an ear open. Mum and Julie say the same and Miami is working with the media to get the message out everywhere," He rumbles until he breaks, crying on Veronica's shoulder as she holds him, her tears escaping too, "My biggest fear is that she ran away like before. I keep thinking is there something we did to push her away again."

"No, she didn't run away. I can't tell you why I'm so certain of that but it's just a gut feeling. No, someone took her and we'll find her," They won't rest until they do, "Have you spoken to Poppy and Clover?"

"The police said they would be doing that tomorrow. Since both girls were away sorting their Uni stuff."

"Then go with them, it'll be scary for them to be questioned by a police officer. If you're there they might feel more comfortable talking."

"Okay," He nods breathing in the smell of her shampoo.

Pulling back she kisses his lips, "Come on back to bed. I know you can't sleep but at least let your body rest."

------

Shivering under her blanket, Lilliana prays for escape whether that's from the police finding her or by freezing to death, anything to get out of that room.