Becoming A Big Sister

18th July 1975

In the months between the wedding and the end of Lilliana's school year, time flew by which they were grateful for as John was away on tour for a good portion of those months.

In the world of Queen, their music is doing well but they are currently trapped in a contract with Trident that they are desperate to get out of. They are hardly seeing any of the money that the albums or singles are making and the final nail in the coffin has been them refusing to loan John the money for a mortgage.

When John and Veronica returned home from their honeymoon, they announced the news that Veronica is pregnant. They told Lilliana first before telling everyone else and she took the news well.

With Veronica's due date just around the corner, John is pissed off, to say the least. He had hoped they'd be in a proper house by now with a bigger room for Lilliana, a room for the new baby and at least one or two spares for if they have anymore, but they are stuck in the flat for the time being.

It's not too much of a problem while the baby is small because he or she can sleep in his and Veronica's room for the first few months but as the baby grows it will quickly become too cramped for a family of four and Tiger.

"Do you want a brother or a sister?" Poppy asks while they sit watching a film for the last hour of the day, it's the last day of school before the summer holidays.

Lilliana shrugs, she had been excited about being a big sister up until a few days ago when a thought popped into her mind that she can't get rid of.

At the end of the day, she walks out with Poppy and sees Brian waiting to pick her and Tiger up, "Uncle Brian?" She frowns but runs over to hug him, "Where's daddy?"

Brian smiles taking Lilliana's bag and her hand, starting the walk home, "Your dad is at the hospital."

"Is mum having the baby?"

He frowns for a moment before answering, "Yes, she is," Lilliana started calling Veronica mum when they got back from the honeymoon, but it's taking them a while to get used to it, "So since Roger and Freddie are busy I offered to pick you up. We'll go up to the hospital when your dad rings to say we can go and visit."

"Okay," She mutters and stays quiet for the rest of the walk.

"Are you excited to meet your new brother or sister?" Brian asks upon reaching the flat. Once again she shrugs making him frown, "What's wrong, Lil?"

Again she shrugs and walks away to her room, he leaves her be for while she gets out of her uniform, waiting on the sofa till she comes back, "What's the matter, Lily?" He asks her again, "Is it to do with the baby?"

"Mum and dad will stop loving me now that the new baby is here, won't they?" She sits on the arm of the sofa facing him but head bowed, "Babies are a lot of work right so they won't have time for me anymore."

Brian gently pulls her onto his lap, lifting her chin so he can see her face, "Your mum and dad love you and will still love you even with a new baby in the picture. Yes, their attention will be split between you and the baby, sometimes it might be a bit more on him or her but that is only because babies can't do anything for themselves for the first year at least. If there is a problem though, you need help with something or you just want to talk to them they will gladly make time for you. You're just as much their daughter as this new baby will be their son or daughter. Of course, you have me, Roger and Freddie, too."

Sighing, Lilliana slumps against him, "I'm jealous aren't I?"

"Maybe a little but that's okay, being jealous is normal and it happens to lots of us. You just have to know that this new baby isn't going anywhere so try not to let the green-eyed monster stick around for too long. Feel better for talking it out?"