Skylar

"I'm done."

"Please, don't leave me alon-"

"No, didn't you hear me? I said I'm done."

"What did I do? I want to fix this, I can't if you won't tell me!"

"There's no fixing this. We're far past fixing."

"I can't take care of her on my own!"

"Figure it out. I can't stand this anymore."

I shot upward, breathing heavily.

Just a nightmare.

The sun hadn't risen, and no one was awake.

No one, except Tyler, who was staring at me.

"Hey, you okay?" He said, a concerned look on his face.

Push it out of your mind, Skylar. I told myself. You've had this dream before, just get through it like you always do.

"Fine." I said. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? 'Cause you don't look sure."

"I'm fine." I muttered. "What are you doing up anyway?"

He turned away. "Thinking, I guess."

"About what?"

He shrugged. "Stuff."

"...It's about your dad, isn't it?" I guessed.

He stared at the ground. "I'll tell you if you're right if you tell me if you're really fine."

We both knew the answers to both questions.

"I guess I'll never know, then." I mumbled, and laid back down, pulling my jacket closer around me, shielding myself as best I could from the cold wind that was starting up.

Somehow, I drifted back to sleep.

*****************************************

"Okay, so what's the plan?"

It was the next morning, and all of us were up, although we were all at different levels of being actually awake.

Alyssa was fully awake, slightly bouncing on her feet(where that girl's energy came from, I still have no idea), while Jeremy, on the other hand, was being held up by his sister, his eyes still half-closed.

"I vote for one more hour of sleep." Jeremy said.

"You said that an hour ago!" Alyssa exclaimed.

"Anyone got a bucket of water?" Jenna grinned, exchanging a look with Shane. I guessed there was some inside joke there, but I didn't press.

I wasn't exactly a morning person.

"Well, I was thinking we should go look for one of the older army members or something. Someone who might know where Darklox would be."

"How could anybody know where he would be?" I asked.

Shane shrugged. "Hey, it's the only thing I could think of."

"I say we go for it." Cameron said. "It's our only lead."

"True." Quinn said, her hands clasped together. She seemed to do that a lot.

"I don't see anything wrong with that plan. It beats just searching." Tyler said, adjusting his backpack strap.

"So... I guess that's what we're doing?" Shane said.

"Problem: we have no idea where the old army members are. We got separated when we escaping the Kingdom, remember?" Jenna pointed out.

"Not true. We know where two are." Cameron said.

Everyone turned to look at him.

"We do?" I asked.

"Yeah. Well, you may not, Alyssa might not, and Tyler and Macey definitely don't, but we do."

"I'm confused." Quinn said. "Who are we talking about again?"

"Remember a few years ago, those two people decided to leave, and they left the coordinates with our dads, just in case? Well..." He reached into the pocket of his jeans, and pulled out a slip of paper. "Dad gave it to me. Just in case something happened and I had to get out of the kingdom without him. I'm not supposed to leave the house without it."

"Oh, I know who you're talking about now!" Jenna grinned.

Cameron stared at the slip. "I always thought he was just being paranoid...but now I'm glad he was."

"Okay, we need a rule. Please explain what is going on because I am getting real sick of having to ask every time." Tyler muttered.

Jenna turned towards him. "We're going to go see Lily and Josh. Also known as brother and sister of Red, a totally awesome girl who...died. In battle. It's a really long story."

I finally understood. "Oh, yeah, I know who they are. But how would they know where Darklox is?"

"It's our only lead, Skylar, we don't have much of a choice. Unless you want to search an infinite world forever." Shane said.

He had a point.

"Okay, I guess...but I still don't see how this will help." I muttered.

"Alright, let's go then!" Alyssa smiled, and started walking.

"Uh, Alyssa?" Cameron asked, and she stopped, turning around.

"What?"

"It's the other way." Cameron said, pointing in the right direction.

"Oh. Right." She said.

Jenna punched Jeremy, who had somehow fallen asleep standing up. "Come on, bro, we're going to see Lily and Josh!"

"Ow! Wha-"

"Let's go go go!" Jenna grinned, and ran ahead, pulling a very confused Jeremy behind her, and we all followed.

————————————————————————————————————

Shorter chapter today, just some quick filler!

Anyone excited to see Lily and Josh again? :D

I wonder if anyone will be able to guess what that dream in the beginning was about? Don't worry if you can't just yet, it comes from Skylar's past, which you'll learn more about later in the book. :D