Macey

Two hours later, and Jin wasn't here. 

        "Tyler, why isn't Jin here yet?" I asked, looking up from my notebook.

        He shrugged. "Notch knows. Dad says he's always late for nearly everything. He'll be here soon."

     I still didn't feel reassured. I looked back at the blank page in my notebook. I was fresh out of inspiration for anything, considering I had just finished my last drawing of Tyler, Dad and I. 

        Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. 

      "That's probably Jin." Tyler said, and paused his show.

        Tyler went over to the door, and I could hear Jin's cheery voice ring out. "Hey, Tyler!" 

        "Hi, Jin." I could hear the smile in Tyler's voice, I knew him so well. 

        "Sorry I was late, kind of short notice. But I'm here now, and it doesn't look like you two have blown up the house, or set it on fire, so that's good news." 

        "This is just a cover-up. There's really sixty creepers in the next room." Tyler joked, and Jin laughed. He and Tyler got along as well as he and my dad did. Guess Tyler and Dad had the same humor.  

        "I'll bet." Jin said, and came into the living room, Tyler following him. 

        "Hey, Macey." Jin said, smiling, and I looked up at him. "You have anything to say today?"

        I shook my head, and he shrugged. "That's okay. We can always try again tomorrow." 

        I smiled. It was hard not to smile when Jin was. His smile was infectious. 

        "So, anything big happen when I was gone?" Jin said, as if he lived here. In fact, he was here so often, he practically did live here. He and Dad were really good friends. 

        "Not really. Danni keeps trying to protect Rage, though." Tyler said, referring to his show. 

        "What's your bet?" Jin said, glancing over at the screen. 

        "No doubt he'll blow up on her again. The guy has some serious anger issues." 

        "No kidding." Jin smiled. "What if I told you they ended up together?"

        Jin had already seen the entirety of the show, and Tyler covered his ears. "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, NO SPOILERS HERE, LALALALALA!" 

        Jin shook his head, laughing. "It's true." 

        "IF I DON'T HEAR IT, IT'S NOT TRUE! IF I DON'T HEAR IT, IT'S NOT TRUE!" Tyler yelled, his hands over his ears. 

        "Sorry, Tyler, but that's not how it works." Jin grinned. 

        "YES IT IS! LALALALALALA!" 

        I stood up to go somewhere else. It was way too loud in here now. 

        "Where you going, Macey?" Jin asked, as Tyler unpaused his show. 

        I pointed into the hallway, and he nodded. "Cool."

        I started back through the hall, and heard Tyler yell, "YOU WEREN'T LYING?" 

        I guessed "Danni" and "Rage" had kissed or something. 

        I wondered what I could draw now, when an idea popped into my head. 

        The Box. 

        Sure I couldn't touch it, but there was no rule against drawing it, right? 

        I went into my dad's room, and saw the Box sitting on a high shelf, probably so neither Tyler or I could reach it. 

        I could see it just fine though, so I started to sketch.

************************************************************************

        I finished an hour later, and the noise from the living room had died down. I guessed Tyler's show had turned off. 

        I shut my notebook, and stared up at the box. 

        What was inside it? I had been guessing for years, but I never truly did know. 

        ...One peek couldn't have hurt, could it?

        There was nothing that could fit in a box that small that could be dangerous that I knew of. 

        Now is my only chance to see, I thought. Dad's not here. 

        I pulled a stool over, and got up on it.

        "Macey?" I heard Tyler calling. "Come on, it's dinner." 

        He can wait. I found myself thinking. You-no, I have to know. 

        I got the box down from the shelf, along with a key for it that was next to it, and stepped down from the stool. 

        "Macey?" I heard Tyler call again. 

        Ignore him. 

        The box was cold to the touch, and so was the key. 

        "Macey, come on, it's dinner. Seriously." Tyler called. 

        You're so close. You'll be done in a minute. 

        I slid the key into the lock, and unlocked it. 

        "Macey, this isn't funny." Tyler said. 

        You're almost there. 

        I started to open the lid, and I realized with a start. 

        The voice in my head...

        It wasn't mine. 

        But I couldn't stop myself from opening the box, and as I did, black smoke shot out with a bang. 

        I screamed, dropping the box, and Tyler burst in the door. 

        "Macey!" He exclaimed, immediatley racing to my side, as a strong wind accompanied the smoke. 

        "What the Nether is going on?" Tyler yelled, and a figure appeared among the smoke. 

        I screamed again, and Tyler shielded me from whoever it was. "Who are you?" He yelled. 

        "I'm your worst nightmare." A voice said, just as Jin burst into the room. 

        "Macey, Tyler! Wha-" 

        Before either of us could do anything, the figure, the smoke, and the wind disappeared. 

        The only problem? 

        Jin was gone, too. 

        I looked up at Tyler, both of us scared out of our minds. 

        "...did I just...do that?" 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 And so the plot begins...