EIGHTY FOUR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Genevieve had never been more excited to go back home. She missed her family and their stupid yet loveable quirks. She missed her Mum scolding her for not brushing her hair or for dressing abnormally. She missed her Dad randomly coming into her room with hot chocolate. She even missed Anna stealing her school tie and pretending to use it as a lasso.

All term anxiety had been slowly gnawing away at her, sinking it's teeth deep into her flesh yet never making any other move. It was almost as if the anxiety applied pressure just to haunt her. She had been yearning to make sure her family was safe for herself. Mary reassured her in every letter she sent that they were fine and she had detected no signs of trouble, but a sickness named uncertainty still  followed her everywhere.

That's if she wasn't the sickness, endangering her family by just going back home.

"This is the last time we'll be going home for Christmas," Peter said as they reached their compartment at the back of the train. "Have you guys thought about that?"

"Thanks Wormtail," Sirius muttered, hauling his suitcase onto the shelf above. "That's one extra thing to worry about."

"The very last time," the small boy carried on. "It's scary, when you think about it."

"That's why I don't think about it," Sirius retorted, slamming himself down on the seats. "Nothing can hurt me if I don't let it."

"You know, accepting we'll actually have to leave soon now is better than accepting it later," told Remus. He was a lot slower than usual and more tired, but he still insisted on carrying his own luggage. The full moon was in a week. None of them would be surprised if he got a headache on the journey.

"Ah, yes," Sirius nodded, crossing his legs and resting his hands on his knee. "But you see, Moony, there's this tiny thing in the back of my mind called 'a voice of reason', and if I push it down far enough I can avoid dealing with things in a logical way."

Genevieve frowned and leant into James. "How is he going to survive when we leave Hogwarts?" she murmured.

"He isn't," answered James.

"I'm happy to be going home," Remus said. "I won't be at school while it's the full moon - I can go straight back home and spend Christmas day there instead of in a sterilised-smelling hospital wing for once."

"Are you sure you don't want us to come over while you're, like, wolfing out?" Genevieve asked, seriously. "You know it's better when we're there."