SEVENTY NINE

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Genevieve fidgeted in her seat as the stern professor flicked through a book regarding all of Gryffindor's students. It was silent in McGonagall's office, so silent that her small intakes of breathe seemed deafening. Eventually McGonagall found the student labelled 'GENEVIEVE MARY LEWIS' in capitals. She scanned over the document once, narrowed her eyes at the large number of detentions and then looked up at the girl.

"So," McGonagall started, peering over her glasses, "any ideas what you may want to do in the near future?"

"Ventriloquism," Genevieve answered immediately. McGonagall pursed her lips disappointedly and folded her hands in front of her. "I'm getting the feeling you don't support this idea."

Careers meetings had been taking place alphabetically all day. Remus was waiting right outside the office for his turn, being only one after her because of their last names. Some people were prepared for them, some people weren't, and some people had ran out of their head of houses's office in tears. Genevieve wasn't prepared in the slightest, and judging by McGonagall's face it was evident.

"I hope you're not going to be immature this whole meeting," the professor lectured. "You won't be here in a year, Lewis. You'll be out in the real world, doing real world things."

Genevieve groaned and slouched in her seat. "Don't remind me, Minnie," she said. "It's all too scary to think about. I might pass out."

"That's what these meetings are for — to make it less scary. Stop that slouching it's bad for your back. Maybe if you approached these sessions with more maturity you would benefit from them."

Genevieve held McGonagall's watchful glare for a second, acting like a child (which she was) who had just been scolded. Begrudgingly, she sat up straighter and tucked her shirt into her skirt without being asked to.

McGonagall's lips tugged upwards a little. "Much better," she said, then glanced back at Genevieve's file. "Last time we had a careers meeting, you were interested about becoming a Healer. Are you still?"

Genevieve nodded.

"Good. Being a Healer would suit you. You're very comforting and eager to help people. It would also teach you a lot of valuable life lessons, such as patience and dedication, two things you tend to lack in."

"I can be dedicated," the girl argued.

"The amount of missing homework on here says otherwise," said McGonagall, glancing at her file. "You're only dedicated to things you enjoy, such as Quidditch, which is why it's essential we find a job you enjoy."

Genevieve nodded along.

"Now, to become a Healer you need to have excellent academic credentials. You need either an Outstanding or an Exceeds Expectations in Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts. When you did your O.W.Ls, you achieved an Outstanding in Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts and an Exceeds Expectations in Potions and Herbology."