FORTY FIVE

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Genevieve had never wished for the Christmas holidays to arrive sooner. They were a week away, but she had a feeling that the next week would be slow and dreary. Well, that's how all the other weeks had felt recently to her anyway.

She had started sitting back at the Gryffindor table despite the fact that Remus moved away whenever she sat near any of the boys. Genevieve had tried to stop him the first few times, but he had ignored her like she wasn't even there and left anyway. After she had gotten used to it, she made no move to stop him anymore. James, Sirius and Peter were her friends too, not just his, and Genevieve was sick of not sitting with them just because Remus wanted to.

She sat with Lily and Marlene the morning after the Hogsmeade visit, but she wished she had sat with the boys instead due to an aggravated Lily.

"— And I mean, he can go out with whoever he likes, I have no problem with that whatsoever. He's his own person," she paused her rant to take in a breath, "But one moment he's in love with me and the next he's not. He's sending me serious mixed signals and it's making me mad."

Marlene raised an eyebrow. "And you don't?" countered she. "Send mixed signals, I mean."

"No, I've made my feelings for Potter very clear and he knows where I lie on the spectrum with him. Its just all a little confusing to me," Lily said and ran a hand through her ginger hair frustratedly.

Genevieve gaped at her in disbelief, before letting out a curt laugh. "Merlin, you're so hypocritical!"

"Excuse me?"

"So you're mad that James went out with another girl after you've been rejecting him all this time?" Genevieve observed, an eyebrow raised and her arms crossed. 

Although it was a rhetorical question, Lily felt the need to attempt to answer. "That's not— What I mean to say is..." she started, but found herself trailing off because not even she could pile together an argument.

Marlene snorted, cutting a part of her syrup drenched pancake and shovelling it into her mouth. "See," she said with a mouthful and pointed her fork at Lily, "There's the mixed signals."

"You're going to have to realise that one day James won't chase you around anymore, Lily. He'll give up, and then you'll be jealous of the next girl he decides to give all of his attention to because," remarked Genevieve, her voice growing increasingly stern.

"That's not true," Lily mumbled, her eyebrows furrowing. "I would be much happier if he focused on another girl."

Genevieve glanced at Marlene, her eyes glistening with amazement. She had never met someone as persistent as Lily, neither of them had, and it astounded them how thoroughly she would carry out this act.

"No? Ok, then," Genevieve shrugged and rose from the bench.

With a sense of urgency, Lily grabbed ahold of Genevieve's arm. "What are you doing?" she demanded.