SIXTY NINE

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Walking back home had been a challenge for the two girls despite the short distance. Linked arm in arm, Genevieve and Lily stumbled dizzily through the night all while giggling through hiccups and overusing the word authentic. For some reason it now held great humour to them.

Genevieve had often wondered how people could manage to become addicted to a substance. It seemed absurd to her to devote your life to something that could easily overpower you and become the ruler of your body. She realised now with a soul clean of conscience why people depended on such things. It was hard to feel as free as she did in that state, no morals or self-concept to judge.

"You must be quiet," urged Genevieve as they approached her front door. She raised a finger to her lips and exaggeratedly shushed Lily, even though the redhead wasn't talking. "You're breathing too loud."

"Sorry," said Lily, bowing her head in apology. She swayed for a moment and tipped dangerously forward before steadying herself. Genevieve snorted as she watched this, and Lily made a point to shush her.

"Right, right," Genevieve reminded herself, nodding. "Silence." Slowly, she pushed the front door to her house open.

Genevieve had expected everyone else to be asleep. What she did not expect to see was her dad on the other side of the door, a glass of water in his hand, looking like a deer caught in headlights. She blinked. He blinked. For a moment they stared at each other, both equally as puzzled.

"Genevieve?" he said, squinting at her confusedly with tired brown eyes.

"Yes," she replied. "That is me. I am Genevieve."

"Yes, I know you're Genevieve but—" Realisation dawned on him as the strong scent of liquor reached his nose. Thomas glanced between the two girls tiredly and then sighed. "Oh, christ."

It was clear from his expression that he knew they were drunk. "Don't tell mum," said Genevieve, fearful.

Thomas shook his head and passed his untouched glass of water to Genevieve. "Of course I won't," he murmured, waving away her comment with a dismissive hand. "Just... drink that. And go to sleep." He looked at them both, noticing their dishevelled appearance. He tried not to sigh again. "Both of you."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"Genevieve. Genevieve." Frantically, Lily shook her friends sleeping body. "Gen, wake up."

After a moment, Genevieve groaned. She wiped the sleep away from her eyes and drowsily looked at Lily with a glare. "What?" she said, speech still slightly slurred.