Hidden Truths 16.1

Minho takes ahold of the brass pole attached to the library's doors, it's heavy as he pulls it open and the smell of old books floods his senses

Minho takes ahold of the brass pole attached to the library's doors, it's heavy as he pulls it open and the smell of old books floods his senses. Looking in, Minho can see straight to a reception desk in the middle and towering walls of bookcases surrounding it. For a village in the middle of nowhere, the library is very large and packed with many books with little to few spaces left on shelves. Taking his first step in, Minho lets the door fall shut behind him—the loud thud echoing through the hall.

"Hello?" A male's voice shouts from somewhere within the maze of books.

"Um, hi," Minho shouts back, walking in the direction he thinks the voice came from.

"Can I help you?" The voice speaks again, this time louder as Minho draws closer.

"I..." Minho turns to look down between the bookshelves he thought where he heard the general vicinity of the other, but no one is there. "I don't know." He mumbles, confused.

"Over here." The voice taps Minho's shoulder, making him jump. "Oh, you're the new guy that's working at the Seo's grocery store." The male points with wide eyes at Minho. The other hand adjusts their glasses as they scan the confused male.

"Err yes." Minho tries to step back so there is more space between them, yet his back hits a bookshelf and he feels it wobble. Turning around to hold it steady, Minho nervously laughs to himself. "Sorry."

"Ah, don't worry about that." The male waves a hand. "What are you here for? To set up a library account?" The male has a smart-goofy look to them. Their hair dark brown hair is a mess as if it doesn't get brushed and has been left to dry naturally after a shower, or it's been slept on. Though they were black jeans, a button up and shirt and vans. It's almost like they were going to go to a job interview but took a nap that lasted longer than a nap.

"No, wait, yes." Minho realises that if he's going to want to bring anything home, he's going to need an account to take them out on.

The male smile as he begins to walk away, "Let's go to the desk. I can get you a library card and account all sorted."

"T-thank you." Minho stutters as he follows after.

"Right," The male adjusts his glasses again as he takes a seat at the computer and logs in. "First, I'm going to need your full name."

"Lee Minho."

The male chuckles, "You got a very popular name. Guess it goes with you being the popular guy in town right now. Alright, date of birth, please."

Minho sighs, when he was at university he heard enough times how he has the same birth name as many celebrities, and the many times it has made him contemplate getting his name changed. Though remembering his parents chose his name, makes him feel bad for changing it from something they took time and effort to decide. "Twenty-fifth of October, nineteen-ninety-eight."

"Oh, you're older than I thought. And... I don't need your address because well... everyone knows it." The male tries to laugh off the end statement as he opens a cupboard next to his legs and pulls out a library card. Putting the card into a machine, he then clicks a few things on the screen before the machine beeps and he removes the card. "Here you go, this card is now linked to your account. Do you know what you're looking for, or do you want some suggestions?" The male looks up at Minho with the card in his hand.

"Thank you...?" Minho raises a brow to hopefully suggests he's asking for their name.

"Seungmin, Kim Seungmin. I work part-time here. I'm the police chief's son." Seungmin keeps his hand out to shake Minho's.

"Great," Minho holds Seungmin's hand and leans in closer over the desk, "I'm actually looking for anything on the house I'm l—"

With his free hand, Seungmin covers Minho's mouth. "Shhh." Seungmin's eyes glance over to an elderly man a few bookshelves away. "You need to be careful about when and where you talk. Follow me." Seungmin tears himself from Minho's grasps and starts swiftly walking away to somewhere in the back of the library. Minho follows behind without a second thought.