The Quest Begins 15.4

Minho's been sitting silently beside Changbin as they drive along the country road from his home

Minho's been sitting silently beside Changbin as they drive along the country road from his home. It's not until they're pulling out onto the main road does Minho speak up, "Changbin?"

"Yeah?" Changbin replies, but it's still audible in his voice that he is a little shaken up from earlier events.

"What um..." Minho isn't sure how to say it because he'll probably sound crazy. Though minutes ago, Changbin saw the ghost of someone he once knew, and thought he was never going to see him again. "What happened this morning?"

Changbin glances at Minho through the rearview mirror, "What do you mean?"

"Sorry, I don't remember much after last night. I know it sounds weird, but—"

"—Oh no no, it doesn't sound weird at all. I'll admit that you seemed a bit off this morning, but not in a bad way. I just thought you weren't feeling well." Changbin cuts in to try and reassure Minho even if it's not the best reassurance.

Minho's head bops, "Really?"

"Yeah, you were quiet and when I offered you a smoke, you rejected it."

Minho's lips circle into an O-shape.

"Yeah." Changbin sighs. "Do you want a smoke now?"

"Please," Minho says while patting his pockets and noticing he doesn't have his on him.

Keeping his eyes on the road and a hand on the wheel, Changbin open the middle compartments between the front two seats. He pulls out a box to hand to Minho. "Can you get me one out too?"

"Sure," Minho opens the cardboard box and sees that Changbin stores his lighter the same as he does. "Here." He says, passing a cigarette.

"Thanks."

Minho quickly lights his cigarette before passing the lighter to Changbin. Simultaneously, the two roll down their windows and take a long drag. "How are you feeling?" Minho asks, blowing his smoke out the window. Personally, he doesn't feel all that great since he's been experiencing a whirlwind of memories and emotions. Though having the chance to say goodbye and know why Chan did it, has some relief behind it.

"Hmm?" Changbin hums while inhaling.

"Well, you've just seen the ghost of... a friend that was um... murdered." Minho's cautious to say the word, cautious to even ask the question.

"Yeah..." Changbin exhales slowly. Taking one more drag, he continues, "I'm shocked and confused, to say the least... but, I dunno. There something there, in my mind, on the tip of my tongue, yet it's also, not." Changbin's voice pipes up and the end. He can't understand what he's feeling in the first place, so it's harder for him to explain.

Minho looks out the window, watching in the mirror as the smoke disappears behind the van. "I think I'm going to quit smoking." He says, bluntly.

"What made you change your mind?" Changbin flows with the topic change.

"Part of moving on," Minho sighs, "I started because they did so I think I'll stop to help me."

"Wow. That bad of a breakup?" Changbin raises his brows. He's dated before, but never has he felt like there was something he had to change afterwards. He accepted the things he was left with as parts of his story in life.

Minho take a final drag before throwing the butt of the cigarette out the window, "They killed themselves." Minho says more calmly then he feels. In all honesty, he wants some time to just break down and cry, but he's made a deal with the reaper.

Patting at his jean, Minho tries to feel for his phone so he can distract himself. "Here." Changbin pulls the phone out of his pocket. "You left it in the car. That's why I went into the house. Also, I forgot to tell you earlier that I've got everything to install your new boiler."

Minho smiles, it's soft and small. "Thank you for everything. I don't know what I'd of done without all your help." Minho whispers.

"Hey," Changbin nudges Minho's arm, "It's like you said, maybe this is all fate."

"Maybe it is." Minho chuckles.

"Maybe it is," Changbin mumbles as they arrive outside the library. "If I go in with you it'll look suspicious so I'm going to have to stay out here."

Minho looks up at the building—its red bricks are chipping at the corners and the pillars surrounding the entrance door. "Thank you, again." Minho turns to Changbin as he opens the van's door.

"Don't worry about it. Call me when you're ready to go home."

"Will do." Minho smiles.