The Other World 8.3

The ghost smiles weakly at his friend

The ghost smiles weakly at his friend. They don't even need to turn around for him to know how angry they are. Why wouldn't they be?

"What were you doing?" A voice deep and monotone echoes against the concrete walls.

"I-I'm sorry."

"You realise what you've done? I thought we agreed that you were to no longer be in contact with those humans... especially after-"

"Don't say it." The boy grabs his friends arm, scared of the next words to come out of their mouth. Felix turns around to hug his little ghost. He doesn't want to be angry, he's scared and took it out on someone who he shouldn't have. tThe boy pulls away from the hug, gaining the courage to ask a serious question, "Why can't you tell me anything?"

"I-" Caught off guard Felix stares into his friends teary eyes. Felix's face softens, "It's not my choice. I wish I could. He strokes gently at his friends head. "There are so many thing I wish I could tell you."

The boy pulls fully away and goes to stand in front of the wall thats stained with his blood. "What did I do to suffer like this?"

Felix places a hand on his friends back, "You did nothing wrong... that's all I can say."

With a deep sigh the boy brushes off the hand and walks away to pile of cushions hidden under the stair case. He can't feel the cold of the concrete, he's dead, but it brings a mental comfort. "I had to of done something. Why would I've been killed? Why do I have to be like this knowing... nothing. I- I-..." The boy takes a deep breath to not overwork himself. "I don't even know my name; what I look like; who my family were." His voice trails off at the end.

The two have had this conversation many times before and it's likely to keep happening again. Always ending with them in silence, unable to look at one another.

"...I should go." Felix says not wanting to make things words.

"No, stay." A third voice speaks out, causing the two to look up at the hooded figure.

"Hyunjin?" The ghost boy mumbles under his breath.

Felix looks at his friend then again at the reaper, "He knows you name?" His brows furrowed.

The reaper removes his hood, letting his long silver hair flow past his shoulders. "I told the boy my name on the first night that man moved in." His voice is cold and emotionless, just like death.

"Why are you here? It's been only a few days." The boys asks as the reaper never visits this often.

"You are making progress." Is what he says in return.

The two stare at him blankly, unsure as to what progress he is on about. "Progress?" Felix questions.

"Yes." Hyunjin nods. "You have finally met with the new male."

"So, this whole time I just had to talk with the people that move into this house?" The ghost's voice lows as he realises that all the suffering he's gone through could've been solved sooner if someone just told him what to do.

Felix shakes his head, "That can't be right. Every time the people who live here see him they move out. Surely this new guy is going to do the same. Right?" He laughs at the end thinking this is some kind of joke.

"Not necessarily." Hyunjin turns to face the ghost boy, "You didn't just need to talk to the person living here. You needed a certain someone, someone who is also dealing with death."

"Can you stop talking in riddles and get to the point." Felix grows impatient with the reapers words.

"Very well. The human living here has recently lost someone they love dearly. They are suffering with the grief of their death. I believe he won't be scared of you for long. He is what you've needed all this time. With his help you should be able to remember everything again. He is similar to you in a way you won't understand yet. That is all i have to say." The reaper lifts his hood back over his hair and disappears into a black smoke.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me!" Felix kicks at the air where Hyunjin stood. "I said stop talking in riddles!"

"I think I get it." The ghost stands up from his pile of pillows.

"What?" Felix turns to his friend with a scrunched face. "What could possible be understood from what that guy said?"

"Simple. He won't be scared of me. He's not going to move out. He's going to help me remember." The boy smiles brightly like the innocent boy he used to be.

Felix walks over and hugs the little ghost boy. "If you say so."