A New Friend 5.3

"Jeongin, my guy

"Jeongin, my guy." Changbin says while giving cringy finger guns as he walks up to the cashier in the town grocery store.

The male whose name was called looks over with a disgusted face. "You!"

Changbin smiles, resting his head in his palm as he leans on the counter. "I've brought the new employee with me."

Minho who has been quietly following changbin gives a little wave along with an awkward smile. "H-hi."

Jeongin's eyes go wide as he points at Minho, "You're the guy that moved it to that-"

"Jeongin." Changbin's voice goes stern as he interrupts the boy before he says something he shouldn't.

"Sorry." Jeongin lowers his hand, turning his attention back to Changbin. "The boss is in the office right now so you should be able to head on over."

Changbin scruffs the boy's hair on purpose knowing it annoys them. "Thank you."

"Is he your brother?" Minho looks back at the boy at the counter. He looks nothing like changbin, but their interaction seemed more than friends.

"Yes and no?" Changbin replies as he thinks about their relationship, not realising how confused he just made Minho.

"So he's not your biological brother?"

"Yes, that's it. He's lived with me and my family for about 5 years now, so feels like family— like a little brother to me." Changbin remembers the first-day jeongin came and how he slept gripping to Changbin's shirt, reminiscing on how weak and fragile the boy once was.

"How old is he?" Minho asks as he's following after Changbin again, this time to the back of the store.

"Who? Jeongin? He's 18. When he finishes high school this summer he plans to move to Seoul." Changbin replies.

"Why'd he come live with you?" Minho asks his final question before they reach the bosses office.

Changbin opens his mouth about to say something, but decides not you. "I think that's a story for another time. I don't know if he'd want me telling you."

Minho notices the boundary he unintentionally crossed. He shouldn't be asking someone about some else's personal life when he's not keen on answering ones about his own. Though he is sure, back home everyone is probably talking about him. All that doesn't matter. Minho has moved to this new town to build a new life. What's in the past is in the past.

Having made it to the office, Changbin knocks on the door and a woman opens up. "Mum, may I present to you Lee Minho."

The woman looks Minho up and down with a proud smile. "Come in. Come in." She turns around and waves the two in. "Sit please." Minho takes the seat the woman pulls out for him.

"Hello, my name is Lee Minho and I'm hoping to get a job here." The male sits with his hands clasped tight on his lap.

The woman chuckles as she opens a draw from her desk and places a few documents in front of Minho. Minho looks at the confused for a moment before picking them and realising that they are application forms.

"Sorry if this comes off rude, but because of the house you've moved into I doubt you will be here long so I'll just give you the job." The woman's voice is friendly, but her words sound otherwise.

"Mother." Changbin suddenly calls his mum out for her inappropriate behaviour.

Minho confidently looks back at the woman, "Changbin has already told me about what has happened in that house and I don't plan on moving."

The woman smiles proudly as she looks at the male sitting across from her. "Can you promise me that you'll be here for at least a year?"

"Yes." Minho answers without hesitation.

"Then you better start filling in those forms so you can start working Monday next week." The woman hands a pen over that Minho swiftly takes.

Walking out of the office Changbin turns to Minho and apologises for his mum's inappropriate words. "What no!? Thank you for helping me get this job." Minho is quick to give back the gratitude.

"No problem." Changbin laughs it off. "Now let us get you some food so you don't starve to death before your first shift."

"Let's go. I haven't even eaten breakfast today."