Chapter 169 | Motives, Means & Intentions

Timeline | August 24th - Night time

Teshia gazed up at Vause, who had been by her side since they brought him home that evening. There was a weighty conversation awaiting them, and delaying until dawn was not a prospect either of them favored. Hesitant, the brunette lingered at the doors to the office where the other  warriors awaited, unaware of the news they carried.

"Vause?" she looked up at him.

"They need to know," With those resolute words, Vause took hold of Teshia's hand. "It can't wait. Not this." And with that, the couple entered the room.

The nighttime atmosphere enveloped the world outside Allegiant as Teshia found herself in the Headmaster's office. The dim glow hinted at the lateness of the hour, and she hadn't anticipated the inquisitive glances from the warriors she had encountered when she first arrived. Their suspicious stares lingered, casting a subtle tension in the room.

"Ah?" Richie cocked his head over the tablet, having finally managed to get Mackenzie to sleep. Her head rested in his lap, body sprawled against the couch.

Mya, who had been draping a blanket over Mackenzie, straightened up at Richie's sound. Diverting her attention from the couple, she looked at Richie with curiosity evident in her gaze.

Jesse and Toni went unnoticed as they focused on their tasks, typing away on the chairs before the desk, creating a hushed atmosphere.

Jasmine positioned herself in front of the television, which projected various news channels and reports she had been closely monitoring. With arms folded, she continued clicking the remote in her hand, navigating through additional reports alongside the ongoing broadcasts.

Teshia's attention, however, was drawn to the couple before her. The Headmaster sat at the desk, engaged in typing and conversation with the brunette woman perched cross-legged on the desk. Her hair was gathered in a messy bun, and she was clad in the soldiers' training uniform. Both were fixated on the screens before them, and Teshia observed as the woman pointed and corrected whatever was displayed on the monitors.

"Yea, babe, I get that," Matthew offered, tapping on the screen, "but if we move the defense core off-site, then watch what happens to SIO's latency and fall back on the power; there is too much of a delay. That is not acceptable by any means."

Eko leaned across the desk, her black training outfit wrapping around her toned body; she nodded and recalibrated the module before them.

"SIO's base needs to be off-site in case of an attack," he explained, "it's too great of a risk at this stage."

Eko looked over to Jesse, who nodded.

"We were thinking the Calvara bunkers on the northern alps. Bury the system underground."

"Ah?" Eko's attention, however, had shifted to their guests.

"Babe?" Eko's brows furrowed, pointing at their guests.

The hesitancy in the room caught Matthew's attention, prompting him to flick his gaze upwards. Jesse, Toni, and Jasmine spun around to see what had caused the pause.

"Skarsgard," Vause's voice greeted the room, his eyes scanning the warriors who stared at them.

"Vause, Teshia," Matthew acknowledged warmly, "I thought we were chatting tomorrow?"

Both Teshia and Vause nodded. "It can't wait," Teshia began, "not this."

"Sure," Matthew shook his head, "Toni, seats?"

His best friend smiled softly, rising to offer a seat to Teshia first before finding another for himself. Jesse followed suit, and Jasmine, Richie, and Mya made their way towards the crowded desk, choosing seats around it.