Chapter 34 | Midnight Rendezvous

As the elevator pinged at the cafeteria level after their training session, Toni, Jesse, and Richie remained completely absorbed in their own world, oblivious to their surroundings.

Having waited for Matthew, Jesse had reached her breaking point, frustrated that he had stood them up. Fed up with the situation, she decided to call it a night. In a fit of fury, the fiery-haired woman stormed off from the arena towards the elevator, with Toni and Richie following closely behind. They were well aware of how Jesse reacted when certain members of the fan club were involved.

While Toni and Richie didn't mind the circumstances, Jesse, on the other hand, was on the verge of losing her patience and ready to throttle the man.

"I bet you he's with that slut!" She breathed, annoyed. "He always does this, and I have told him not to put them first regarding our training regime! I bloody well told him what would happen the next time that happened!"

"Can you help the man? We're going to be gone for another two days," Richie couldn't help the laughter that followed his comment when he received a right hard smack across the back of his head from Jesse and a devil's leer that she would smack again if he spoke.

When the elevator pinged at that moment, they followed the raging woman to the cafeteria, where the doors slid open, and the three pairs of feet were greeted with a sight they weren't entirely expecting.

An empty half-lit-filled room, a raging storm in the background of the floor-to-roof glass plain, and currently, and privately only two people were huddled in the back section of the expansive cafeteria.

"Well, well, well...will you look at that." Toni was surprised as they all were, crossing his arms at sight. Like Jesse and Richie, he was taken aback at the two that were clearly lost in their worlds.

Talking animatedly, their body language indicated something entirely different.

Coffee between their hands, empty food plates scattered across the table, there had been the loud laughter of Eko, who threw her head back at something that Matthew had said. Inquisitive eyes of his friends watched as the man continued his story, full of life and entertaining the brunette with whatever was being said.

"Been like that for hours," one of the older male cafeteria staff leaned over from the counter smiling, clearly having observed the couple for a while now, "it's a sight we don't usually see from our Commander."

Three heads agreed in a unanimous nod.

"Well," Jesse quite liked the laughter that came from Matthew, "guess there's a first for everything in our lives still."

"Like his crush on her?" Richie laughed, "Geoff, plate of whatever you have left," nodding to the man as he walked towards the laughing pair.

Jesse rolled her head towards Toni, smirking at her intention, "they'll have the next few days together, so," she shrugged before winking and then flipping her head to the elder cafeteria worker, "Geoff, just a chamomile tea and some of Rosemary's biscuits please."

It left Toni shaking his head, watching as Richie joined the table, and Matthew greeted him and continued his story, shuffling closer to Eko, making room for Jesse, who then joined, and the four bodies were talking and laughing animatedly again.

"Chicken, salad, and water?" Geoff piped in, "I know how you are, particularly with your eating regime?"

Toni chuckled at Geoff, nodding, "always taking care of my stomach."

"Your soldiers' habits are quite easy to pick up on," he offered, "it'll be ten. Take a seat, and I'll get the staff to get it ready."

With another nod, Toni found himself heading towards the table that continued to roar to life as Richie and Jesse joined in with whatever farfetched tail Matthew had been telling Eko.

Not, at one point, did Toni even care how it sounded because these were the nights that he loved. The ones where it felt all too normal, and he could pretend they were normal twenty-something-year-olds, catching up for dinner and reminiscing on old stories.

But then, they were the lucky ones, weren't they? Compared to everyone else. As long as they were together, even if everything else was falling apart.

They were always going to be okay.

---- ---- ---

Give the team some LOVEEEE!!! Or... I'll make them sufferrrrr

 I'll make them sufferrrrr