Chapter 27 | "It's Not Her Smartest Attribute."

"I have a mind!" Madison couldn't get the abhorrent fear out quickly enough to her cousin when they were out of earshot of anyone. Both able bodies boarded the ship, intently watching the manic stream of people who managed to escape their enemies with only minor casualties.

The soldiers' timely arrival had undoubtedly been fortunate for the crash site, but it had resulted in overcrowding. The extra aircraft that came to their aid meant that they had to unload some of the survivors before they could continue their search for the Princess.

Once aboard the aircraft, Eko listened as Madison continued to vent about her life choices, a familiar droning that she had heard countless times before.

Eko knew Madison's speech by heart; every word was etched in her memory. The speech emphasized that Eko's role was more significant than just fighting monsters and risking her safety. She was the future heiress and had to bear the weight of that responsibility. Eko had heard this countless times before.

It seemed like Eko's importance to the world overshadowed everything else, a notion that had been drilled into her repeatedly. Meanwhile, Madison continued to ramble on, asking rhetorical questions she was never meant to answer.

"Why do you need to fight when there are bases dedicated to it?" Madison's one of several rhetroical questions irked her at that stage. 

"Why are you so pigheaded and stubborn?" Eko quipped back.

"You are the last heir to this world. They need you more than you understand. Have you lost some form of your brain cells to comprehend that? Do you want me to slap you? Is that what this is coming to?"

Blah, blah, blah... Truthfully, it was a light buzz in her mind these days; what captured her attention, however, was the bickering noise of a couple. The same she overheard that would appear now were tearing shreds off one another.

On her heel continuing away, Eko noticed curiously as she made her way to the bickering pair that it had been Mya and Richie. Both were pointing at one another and inaudible words of pure screaming.

The couple had forgotten about their world; whatever fight they had with each other commanded the atmosphere.

Mad's voice was back in her senses suddenly, and Eko rolled her eyes, addressing her cousin.

"Honestly, I was fine. I am fine," as though that would be the end of it, "this concern isn't warranted. You know that, right? Besides, what have I told you about all this extra fretting? You're going to end up in a panic attack again."

"Fretting, Sera?"

"Eko. Remember, not Sera... Eko!"

"I cannot believe you haven't told them, and then you would use a fake alias for these people."

"How is it fake? Technically, it's a part of my name."

Madison scoffed before groaning in annoyance.

"I seriously am this close to just punching you," indicating with the signal of her hand how close she was to losing her temper, "what were you thinking out there? What are you thinking about this whole situation?"

"Same thing, I think every time I fight against those things?" the memories she has fondly of those epic times forced her to smile to herself.

Madison shook her head at her cousin's stupid, giddy expression as they entered back onboard the ship that echoed loud demands from a certain Commander trying to prep their departure immediately from the site.

"Besides, he had it covered. I was in no danger whatsoever."

Then for some reason, Eko glanced up and found herself locked in with bold blue steel eyes, a gaze from the Commander that she couldn't shake, his presence that made her heart quicken when he approached.