Chapter Thirty Five

[ Chapter 35 ]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The day had come and gone, welcoming in the night. Stars numbering in the many, shining bright in the sky. The sky is a black ocean over the world below. While the full moon lit the earth below in soft light.

Silent as the night, the small village was quiet and without a sound, with neither a man nor woman outside, while the children had already been tucked in. Yet, on the far end, the house that had only recently been built contrasted with the rest, as a small warm glow came from outside its windows. Clearly, there were at least two that were still up. And if one were to peer inside their home, look through the windows and be nosy, they would see the scene of a married couple at dinner.

"Remind me will ya, to ask Merlin to help restock on spices? I don't think ya want to go back to just salt and pepper for meals." Y/n said with a small laugh at the end as stretched his arms. Looking across the table at Artoria who smiled back at him.

"Of course, I'd hate to limit you in the kitchen, and besides, It would disappoint me if you couldn't perform at your best," Artoria responded, making the man laugh as he responded.

"At my best? I'm sure you'd eat anything if it was edible," He replied, causing the woman to narrow her eyes at him as he quickly corrected himself. "I-I mean, I'm just joking. My king deserves only the best." Y/n finished with a smile that Artoria could call "afraid". He had already incurred her wrath once today, doing it twice was just begging to be killed.

"Correct, but don't stress yourself too much, I'm always happy with anything you make," She replied, satisfied with his response.

"Well, who knows that stomach of yours better than me?" Y/n finished with a smirk.

Y/n had only nearly avoided a beating earlier today. Maybe it was his silver tongue, his ability to outrun her, or even the possibility that Artoria may have given the man mercy and had let him explain himself. But whatever it was(Mercy and Speed), the next hour had been spent with Y/n having to explain...the more ridiculous parts of his and Merlin's friendship, that both had neglected to tell their king.

Safe to say, she wasn't happy for various reasons. Still, the man was surprisingly forgiven for his less than stellar actions, truly his woman was a saint! Something Y/n was quite thankful for because he was not ready for a pissed Artoria. But, to see her pretend to not be jealous after the whole event was over, was quite cute in his eyes.

Hmm, it's getting quite late, so I'd better start cleaning up... I'll blow out the candle last. Y/n thought, making his decision before standing up. Taking his plate first before proceeding to push in his chair. Smiling a little, he looked over at Artoria.

"Mind helping me clean up?" He asked, raising a brow as Artoria nodded in response. The blonde soon got out of her seat before grabbing her plate and utensils as she pushed her chair in, walking over to Y/n and handing him the plates in her hand as he took them.

"It's only fair that I help, though I'm not sure I can ever provide aid in the kitchen, I am a novice in that regard," Artoria admitted as Y/n took the items from her in one hand and turned around, walking up to the counter as he replied.

"Nonsense, we're together now, so I expect me to teach ya a few things, eventually," Y/n said, glancing back at the blonde as he watched her blink.

"Together... Right," Artoria muttered to herself.

"Something wrong?" Y/n asked, raising an eyebrow at seeing her stare off in space.

"No, I was just thinking about how we were going to greet any possible guest," Artoria quickly replied, watching as Y/n began setting things down.