Is This a Riddle? 19.2

A/N

Hello everyone. I know that this is a really strange time to update but I have just finished writing this now. It took me ages to do as I have now started University. This means that updates won't be frequent and may not even be on a Wednesday. I will try and write where I can and will update whenever I finish as I will probably forget to regularly do it on a specific day. So basically all I can say is, thank you all for being so patient and I hope that that patience can continue while I try and fit everything in.

I hope you are all well and having a good day/night.

Third Person POV

G.C.P.D. Precinct

With his eagerness to pursue the new case enhanced by Lee's encouragement and the tip on where to go in the Narrows, Jim was more than ready to go and begin his investigation. He was just missing one very important part of his arsenal ... Harvey Bullock. It wasn't going to be an easy task to convince Harvey to tag along and lend a hand as this meant the detective would be doing double the work when instead he could be catching up on the latest gossip in his newspaper.

"Absolutely not," Harvey shook his head, not even looking up from his paper while Jim leaned against his desk and stared directly at the man in front of him.

"I'm not saying we officially take over the investigation; just help me look into it," Jim requested.

"No," Harvey repeated, over-exaggerating the word.

"Harvey, the victim deserves justice," Jim tried going in from another angle.

"Yeah, and I deserve a mute supermodel who likes pasty Irish guys and loves to cook," Harvey countered, lowering his paper and removing his reading glasses. "It's not happening. Besides, we both know that justice isn't the real reason you want this one."

"Hello, detectives," Ed's voice cut in as he approached their desks with an arm full of files.

"Ed, question: would you rather work more or less?" Harvey asked, hoping to get someone to back him up.

"Is this a riddle?" Ed's eyes widened.

"Exactly," Harvey responded, making Ed's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You're helping," Jim said stubbornly to Harvey before he turned back to Ed, whose gaze still hadn't left the senior detective. "What's up?"

"Uh, list of all establishments in the South Village with a current liquor license," Ed told him, handing him the top file on the pile.

"Including speakeasies?" Jim asked.

"Yes, siree - four of which, you'll be pleased to know, were missed by the original detectives," Ed informed them with a smile.

"Ah, that's great, Ed. Thank you," Jim said. "One more thing. I was going through the crime scene evidence with the Fairchild murder and, uh, there's a piece of evidence missing." 

"Any idea what it is?" Ed asked, peering closely at the missing evidence page.

"No, but it's labelled '3A'. Think you can find it?" Jim requested.

Hearing this request, a wide smile crossed Ed's face as he straightened up and said, "Detective, I will solve this puzzle." He gave Jim an enthusiastic salute to which the detective responded with his own confused, flimsy one.

When Ed had left the desk to proceed on his own little adventure, Jim got up and grabbed his coat, phone and file before he turned his gaze back to Harvey who had picked up his newspaper again.