Don't Vex Me, Mortals 5.1

Dozens upon dozens of sheets of paper and photographs were plastered over the back wall of the living room in Wayne Manor. Bruce had been very busy the past few days, making sure he was understanding everything and anything that could help him solve his parent's murder. He was still expecting Jim Gordon to be looking into it, but he just thought he could give him a little assistance.

Bruce was just pinning up another sheet when Alfred walked in.

"Fancy a stroll?" Alfred suggested, eyeing up the sheet Bruce was sticking up. "It's a lovely day. Stretch the legs, breath of fresh air."

"I'm busy," Bruce said, double checking the paper he had just placed.

"I got a question for you, Master Bruce," Alfred informed him, walking over to him. "What if all of this... was a complete and utter bloody waste of time? What if you never discovered who killed your mum and dad? What if you never get to wreak revenge?"

"I don't want revenge," Bruce told him, finally looking away from the wall. "I wanna understand how it all works. How Gotham words."

"Well, you'd have more chance digging to China with a teaspoon," Alfred replied.

"Take the Arkham project, for instance. How did the Falcone and Maroni crime families get such big shares in the deal? I mean, I know city hall is corrupt... but why didn't Wayne Enterprises do something?" Bruce turned to face Alfred. "Can you pass me that blue folder over there?"

Alfred did as he was told and picked up the folder, flicking through it as he walked over to Bruce.

"Well, I suppose as hobbies go, this is... a damn sight better than grilling yourself like a bloody pork chop," Alfred commented, not getting a reaction from Bruce. "Still, not particularly healthy, is it?"

"Thank you," Bruce said, taking the blue folder from Alfred, but ignoring his other comments.

"Are you listening to me?" Alfred asked.

"Yeah, yeah, for sure. I'll walk later," Bruce stuttered after some slight hesitation. "Thank you, Alfred."

Bruce returned his attention to the papers and realising he had lost this battle, Alfred walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holly POV

I can do it. I just have to casually bring it up. Like, 'hey, dad. How'd you feel about me joining the swim team?' Well, that's if they accepted me, of course.

"You good, Holls?" Dad's voice asked, making me look up from my bowl of cereal.

"What?" I replied.

"Are you ok? Your kinda quiet," dad said.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just thinking," I told him. He nodded silently and looked back down at his food. Ok, Holly. It's now or never. "Dad..."

"Hmm?" Dad grunted, looking up.

"I've been thinking... I know you're always saying I should be more involved in school and everything... so... um... how'd you feel if I tried out for the swim team?"

"The swim team?" Dad repeated, looking deep in thought.

"Yeah. I mean, it would look good on my applications and everything," I shrugged.

"Holly, aren't you a little young to be thinking about your applications?" Dad laughed.

"Yeah, but... well, anyway, what do you think?" I asked.

"I guess it would be good for you to get involved," dad nodded, but then he stopped and looked at me. "Are there boys on the team?"

"Dad..." I warned.