A Trip Down Memory Lane 6.3

Holly POV

As the school bell echoed down the corridors, everyone started rushing out, excited to get away from school and back home. For once Tanya didn't actually have a detention but her mum had forced her to come straight home cause they were having a family night. Tanya said that they have one every other week as that is the only day when all her siblings and parents are home at the same time.

So as I was walking out of school by myself, I took out my phone and dialled Bruce's number. After two rings he picked up.

"Hello?" Bruce answered, but he sounded like he was only paying half of his attention, clearly not having checked the caller ID before he answered it. Taking advantage of this, I smirked to myself and decided to have some fun.

"Good afternoon, sir. Have you recently been involved in a car accident that wasn't your fault?" I asked, trying to put on a posher voice.

"I'm sorry?" Bruce asked confused.

"Have you recently been involved in a car accident that wasn't your fault? If so you can be liable for a million dollars compensation," I repeated, but couldn't hold in my laughter at the end.

Bruce was quiet for a minute as I continued laughing to myself and then he finally spoke.

"Holly?" Bruce realised.

"Hey, Bruce," I replied, smiling to myself.

"Was that your audition for the role of scammer?" Bruce asked, and I could hear him smiling.

"If it was do you think I'd get the job?" I asked as I crossed the road.

"Err... you might need to contain your laughter but apart from that, I'd say it was pretty good," Bruce said.

"Why, thank you," I smiled.

"Is everything alright, Holly?" Bruce suddenly asked.

"I think I should be asking you that. You know, considering you are one of the most well-known kids in the top 1%," I said.

"Oh, that," Bruce sighed. "Yeah, he's got them all fleeing the city."

"Bruce... just be careful. I know you're probably not worried about it but I think you should be. Maybe you should leave Gotham for a while until this all calms down," I suggested.

"I'm not going anywhere, Holly. This Goat guy isn't going to scare me away," Bruce said, making me sigh.

"I had a feeling you were gonna say that," I admitted.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I'm not even living in the centre of the city," Bruce insisted.

"Ok, then. On another note, found out any new information?" I asked, realising that I wasn't getting anywhere with convincing him to leave.

"No, nothing," Bruce told me, frustration lacing his voice. "They cover their tracks well."

"Yeah, dad hasn't told me anything new either," I said.

"But if he does—" Bruce began, but I interrupted him.

"You'll be the first to know," I assured him. "Right, I'm gonna go now. I'll speak to you later."

"Ok, bye Holly," Bruce said before hanging up.

As I lowered my phone, I sighed to myself at the stubbornness of the boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third Person POV

As the deadly darkness started to cloud over the city, Bruce Wayne sat in his living room once again looking through another pile of files. Unlike most of the top 1% in Gotham, Bruce didn't seem bothered by the fact he could be one of the Goat's targets.