reconciliation before sunrise

"But, Naraku, why can't I join you in the room while you recover? You've been gone for so long. . "

"I understand your wants, Mei. But I'm not fully healed yet."

"I beg to differ. ." She referred to their previous "act" with a scoff.

"And besides," Naraku cupped her chin, lifting it upwards to gaze down lustfully at her.

"If you stay in close proximity to me, I'll be obliged to ravage you. Constantly. Is that what you want?"

Mei's eyes shifted away from his, her cheeks burning at the thought. She shook off his grasp, stepping away with a sad pout.

"If you need the space to recover," she flashed him a bratty glance, "Then I guess I'll allow it. But, when you do recover, we need to talk."

"Oh? About what?"

"If I'm to be the lady of this castle, everything. I don't want you to hide anything from me. We're mates, and I'm entitled to know your. .  plans, i suppose."

Naraku's lips straightened, his brows furrowing together. Mei's newfound charisma took him back a little, but he was interested in where things were to go with them attempting to be more open with each other.

He tilted his head from side to side before smiling down at her. His crimson eyes glinted happily at her suggestion.

Using the back of his hand, he brushed her cheek, resting his index finger on the space where her jawline connected to her ear.

"And what if what all i tell you makes you see me different."

She held his hand with both of hers, using her thumb to massage his palm. She nuzzled her cheek in his palm, eyes lowered in thought. She hadn't thought this through that far but she knew, after months, she had to decide the intention moving forward.

"At this point," she began, "I don't think I can see you any different. Because I-"

She caught herself. What was she saying? She looked up at Naraku who, instead of the annoying scowl he usually had on his face, had a softer expression. It was. . Warm? She couldn't pinpoint it, maybe he was tired?

Biting her lip, she shook her head in resignation, kissing his palm before removing it from her face.

"Come to me when you're fully healed. No earlier than that. Okay?"

He nodded at her request, a small smirk spread on one side of his lips.

"Your wish is my command, mistress."

"Hmph," she turned on her heel, attempting to show her unimpressed scowl without giving it away that it was in fact false.

"Are you going to put up Miasma again to stop me from seeing you?"

"I don't feel the need to, no. Now go, get some rest and tend to Kagura."

She blinked at his response. How did he know Kagura needed help?

"How-" she shook her head, retracting her thoughts. She took one final glance at Naraku as she crossed the bridge that connected the garden/onsen area  to the main castle. He didn't wear a scowl, a frown, or a smile. His gaze at her was neutral, and if she wasn't mistaken she hinted a bit of sadness as well.

"Agh, dammit." She rounded the corner to the castle doors, her foot began to throb once more. She needed to make it a point to go into a local village for her foot. She started to suspect the splinter that lodged in her foot might have carried Miasma and that might be the reason the pain was affecting her so badly.