secrets

After what felt like ages basking in the midnight ravine, Mei took a breath and hiked herself up onto the surface. She moved her body achingly slow, her mind still in a haze. With delicate precision she dried off her pallid skin and loosely braided her hair down her back, her baby hairs loosely clinging to the nape of her neck.

Naraku was just there. With her. He was just there!

With her eyes heavy and her footsteps light, she rubbed her arm with the spider marking, the flesh color barely contrasting with her skin but it felt... hot.

Or was she just feeling the heat from an earlier encounter.

Either way, with her arm nestled in her hand, she managed to make her way back to camp with everyone fast asleep, even the dog. She sneered at his calm appearance, tucked a hair behind her ear, and quietly laid down on her pallet that was seemingly away from the rest of the group but close enough to feel the fire. She focused her vision into the thicket of trees until her eyes became heavier than normal. It was something about being around s company of people that made sleeping a little more..

"You were with him weren't you?" Inuyasha asked, his voice calm and clear cut as the fire crackled and burned a bright orange while the rest of the forest was a dark blue and mossy green hue.

Mei's eyes shot open. Was he talking to her? When it grew quiet again, she sat herself up, her hand still secured onto the hem of her sleeve to make sure the slide mark wouldn't show even if it wasn't there. It felt there to her. His gaze never left hers; it was one of curiosity and one of discontent.

"Are you talking to me, Inuyasha?" Mei quizzed him, her equally icy glare looking his direction.

"Who else is awake?" He shot back with a glint of his fangs speckling as an ember shot up into the air.

"Nature." Mei shrugged her shoulder to adjust her kimono, their stare never leaving each other.

The air was thick and it was the only time it seemed that Inuyasha would speak to her is to cause a sort of discord between the two or just name her some kind of obscenity under his breath. But this time, it felt like Inuyasha wanted to say more but couldn't find what right way to say it. Instead, he just stared. His golden eyes could've cut into her flesh if it had the power.

"Feh. I guess even the rats and crickets don't need sleep, neither does your lover." Mei could feel that word slide out of his mouth and into the flames. So much, it made her eyebrow twitch in angst.

"He isn't my lover." Mei responded softly, looking away from his gaze to hide her discomfort.

"Oh, bullshit!" With a leap, Inuyasha was suddenly in front of Mei and gripped the same arm she was nestling. He held it high into the air as her sleeve fell down her arm to reveal an even darker spider mark that wrapped around to her elbow. "You think this shit just happens to anyone? Dumb wench, when you sleep with a demon you take on his marking so any other demons who see this will know you belong to him. If he wasn't your lover you wouldn't reek of him every time you walked away. I swear to God if I find out you're plotting with that son of a bitch-"

Mei snatched her hand away with a huff, backing away from his menacing glare. "L-let go of me!" So much adrenaline has built in her, she didn't even realize he scratched her skin enough to draw blood. "Who are you to judge me? You don't even know me! You don't know where I've been!" Her anger began to pool over into her words as her voice got slightly louder. "Naraku has been nothing but good to me since I've been in hiss care and for the likes of you to judge him says a lot about a half-demon such as yourself! Look at you, you reek of a second rate runt and yet here you are breathing down my neck about something you know NOTHING about!" She stood to her feet, her blood boiling in frustration. How dare he treat her like such an omen?

"What do you know anyway? How is it that you can grow to hate someone like him? He's done NOTHING to you!" Mei grilled Inuyasha to a supposed soft spot. She saw the anger transition to hurt in his eyes and it was then she realized that it was something she didn't know. Before she could even ask, he spoke out.

"The bastard killed Kikyo. The woman I loved years ago he turned against me and confined me to a tree for what felt like a lifetime.He destroyed lives and caused me to lose someone I cared about, you bitch" Mei's eyes grew big at this news. Was this the same Naraku?

"He's just going to use you and he's going to ruin your life like he's ruined mine. Do you think you're so special to him for just no apparent reason? Don't be an idiot, you have something he wants. And he's going to manipulate you until he wins. And he's just going to toss you to the side like he does everyone else."

With a pained expression, Mei felt her whole body grow cold and slightly numb. Was this..true? Couldn't be.

"Feh." Inuyasha spat as he spotted her disposition. "Before you open your legs to him again, take heed to what I'm saying. But what do I care, Kagome wants you here. Not me. So stay out of my way." And with that, Inuyasha jumped up into the trees.

Mei, in a daze, just laid down and held herself in a tight fetal position, hoping to escape the unease on her stomach. As she shut her eyes to drift off to sleep, Kagome sat up from her cot with her knees clenched to her chest and an aching expression displayed on her face.