recovery

The battle fought between Naraku and Inuyasha was a formidable one. One could say that the heightened emotions between Naraku, Inuyasha and Kagome was felt tremendously. Before any additional blows could land on Naraku, however, he fleed back into the forest, putting up an even stronger barrier so he could recover and calculate another plot to destroy Inuyasha and others.

4 days had passed since Mei had seen Naraku. 5 days had passed since she had returned to the castle. While Mei was asleep, Naraku came and visited her in her chambers. His arm was bleeding significantly and his face was riddled with pain, but he still made an effort to see her before he retired to his chambers so his body could recover.

Kagura saw to it that Mei was taken care of under Naraku's instruction. She was bathed, her hair brushed, and her clothes to be changed everyday. He would have sought to it himself but he was afraid his recovering body would take a longer process if he were to put any additional strain on it. But, nonetheless, he watched her in Kanna's mirror. Kagura on the other hand saw his momentary distraction as an opportunity to locate the shard. Night after night, she retraced her steps, digging random mounds of dirt up from the ground, searching for some indication that the shard was there but night after night nothing turned up.

Her fear was beginning to outweigh her frustration and she could hear the clock ticking in her ears. Naraku was not going to wait forever for one of the two to show up and it would be a worldly punishment for her if she were to fail this mission.

What made it worse: Mei had awoken in the evening on the 4th day. Kagura lost her chance to wander into the forest because now she had to actively see to it that Mei was taken care of on her behalf.

"Mmh.." Mei tossed back and forth on her cot, her body no doubt stiffened from days of sleep. When she awoke to find herself back at the castle a wave of disappointment shot through her. Even with her open declination of going back to the castle, she was still forced to come back there. The spider shaped scar on her back began to throb for a few moments, pause, then throb again which made her touch her back out of sheer reflex.

Her tongue scraped the roof of her mouth and clung to its surface, she was thirsty.

"Make sure you drink this. You've been asleep for a few days now." Kagura kneeled down next to Mei, handing her a large bowl of spring water.

Without hesitation, Mei grasped the bowl with both hands, took a few gulps and wiped her mouth free of any nomadic streaks that cascaded down her chin.

"Where is Naraku?" she asked. She sat up in her cot, her blanket to her bare chest.

"He's here." Kagura returned to her seat at the door, arms crossed and eyes closed. "Inuyasha and him went to battle and he took a large hit to his arm."