Gaze into the broken mirror

It took all the strength left in Mei to carry Kagura back towards the castle. She put all of her fury to the side and did what she thought was right, even if it still left a burning curiosity in the back of her mind.

"It's so hot. . . " Kagura sighed. Beads of sweat trickled down the back of her neck, causing her stray strands of hair to stick to the back of her neck as they walked.

Mei didnt understand where this sudden fever came from and it terrified her. She prayed that Naraku didnt have anything to do with this. How could he? He was predisposed and hidden away on the other side of the castle. He couldn't have this much power of Kagura, could he?

. . .  Could he?

Mei readjusted Kagura' arm over her shoulder, her knees almost buckling at her weight plus the added weight from her heavy kimono. When her other arm gripped around her waist she realized just how tiny Kagura really was. How could she manage to walk around in such heavy clothes day in and day out despite the weather and so effortlessly at that.

"You know," Mei chuckled, walking slowly as Kagura's breath grew rather ragged. "You have to show me how you maintain such a poise about you in such heavy clothes. I can proudly say that i will never complain about my clothes ever again. " deep down, she didnt feel like her small gesture to lighten the mood was working, but she continued to try,

"We're going to get you back to the castle," she huffed. The sudden shift in weight as Kagura grew weaker made it harder to walk but she continued to push. The crows above her head cried out in joyous heckles watching the two struggle further into the forest.

"By the gods, how far is this place?  I don't remember it being so far."

"Heh," Kagura let out a short scoff, holding up as much strength as she could.

"Don't tell me that even in my most vulnerable, i still have to lead the way. . . "

"Shh, hush." Mei instructed, putting her index finger to her lips. "Save your scolding for when we get home. Don't tell me you're giving up already." She teased.

"Nonsense. And leave you alone with Naraku? I'm afraid," wheeze "you'll never know the light of-"

Kagura's talking stopped. Her body became dead weight as she finally passed out under Mei's grasp.

"Dammit, Kagura!" Mei seethed through gritted teeth.

"You're so arrogant it really does hurt. Just- hold on!" '

She closed her eyes, pointing her head to the sky. She let the wind guide her to the scent of the castle. The mixture of tangerine and lavender permeated her nostrils, signaling her she wasn't that far away. Turning east, she hoisted Kagura up with one final bolt of her strength and continued forward.

"By the Gods do you owe me. You owe me big time!"

She continued to carry her weight and Kaguras towards the mansion, but she was constantly burning up. She continued to sweat and her face bore a pained expression even in her unconscious stupor.

Don't you die on me Kagura. If you can die. . . Don't do it, okay!

-

Mei couldn't make heads or tails of the castle when she finally got inside. Her strength was beginning to wear out carrying so much weight as well so she knew she had to move quick if she was going to get anywhere or anything done.

Finally finding an open room. She laid Kagura down on the tatami mats and undressed her layer by layer. She kept her breasts and pelvic area covered with a spare towel and continued to dab her body with a damp towel.

She was so consumed by the task at hand she nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard a creak behind her.

Cautiously, she turned around to look in the vacant eyes of a. . .  Child? She had Snow White hair, jet black pupils and a - mirror? She had no expression on her face nor any indication of what she was about to do. It made her hair stand on edge. Who was she? And how long had she been there?

"Hey. .  Who are you?"

". . . ." The mystery girl continued staring forward. Kagura's ragged breathing ceased as the cool towel rested on her forehead. She lured off into a slumber while Mei's back was still turned.

"Can you hear me? I asked a question. Do you- do you live here as well? Why have I never seen you?"

". . . . "

"Can you say something instead of standing there! If not just leave me to tend to-" Mei shifted her weight back around to face Kagura, only to pause at the girl's short response.

"Naraku."

"-?! Naraku? What about him? Why did you say-"

As Mei turned around to face the girl, the mirror that was nestled in her hands began to glow. In the mirror showed an empty room where rope dangled carelessly from the roof. On the floor were smears of what loooked like old liquid or-

This was the room Naraku was in.

But where was Naraku?!