𝟏𝟕

Something changed after she spent that night with Han.

It was two weeks later and she hadn't heard from him.

Frankie was confused, he'd called her the night after they were together and asked if she was okay. They spoke for ten minutes about nothing important, and she was anticipating him inviting her to his place.

He never did.

She'd been leaving the house, hoping to run into him, and she didn't.

It was like he vanished.

Frankie was constantly telling herself that she was overreacting.

She needed to focus on something else besides Han, so she was put to work.

Frankie had spent the last two weeks working on cars at their family-owned garage. It's been a while since she got her hands dirty to the point where she had to change her t-shirts constantly.

Today she was wearing a pair of denim overalls, but they were in the form of shorts instead of long pants since it was hot with a white t-shirt underneath.

Half of her hair was pulled back, but it didn't stop the stray pieces from flying all over and in her face.

Her face was covered in grease caused by her hands every time she tried to wipe the sweat from her forehead.

Dom had been watching her each day, happy with the fact that she was enjoying herself and spending time with everyone who cared about her.

He didn't want to ruin it by asking her questions about the many things she didn't want to talk about. He could tell, being her big brother, that something was on her mind that she didn't want to think about. She was using work as an excuse to take her mind off everything that was bothering her.

It was working, but Dom felt like she needed to talk about it to someone else if not himself.

Frankie and Brian were working on the engine, only the two of them since everyone else was taking a well-deserved break.

Frankie wouldn't stop.

It was the same when she was at school.

She never took breaks.

Her being away from school was the longest break she'd ever taken, but she needed it.

The pair had taken it apart, laying all the pieces in the correct order and category. From the cylinder head cover to the camshaft pulley to the oil pan, and all the nuts and bolts in between.

Brian was fascinated with her work ethic, taking back everything he said about women and cars.

Frankie knew her stuff.

It shocked him a little bit.

They were both going through something, so he knew that they'd be better off talking to each other.

Frankie set down the last pieces of the engine on the table, standing over it before wiping her hands with the dirty rag.

Brian smiled at her, "You're good at this stuff."

"I know."

She pursed her lips, "I go to school for it."

He chuckled.

Frankie glanced at him, noticing the way his face fell.

She was probably going to regret asking, but Brian was her friend.

"What's on your mind?"

He let out a heavy sigh, "You ever get the feeling... the feeling that you're being kept in the dark?"