𝟏𝟖

Frankie didn't care about anything.

However, she had to pretend that she did.

She forced herself to be happy and present with her family.

They finished the car for Brian, just in time for Race Wars.

It was the hottest day of the year for this event to be in the middle of the desert.

Frankie wanted to jump into a bucket of ice.

She didn't know how her brother and his friends could wear long pants in this heat.

She was focusing her attention on anything besides him. It'd been a week and he meant what he said. He wasn't coming back anytime soon.

That's why she ended up here amid the roaring engines, loud music, dusty wind, and many people.

It was keeping her distracted.

Cars were lining up to get in and cars were lining up to race one another.

Frankie felt so out of place, but she was going to try her best to have a good time.

At least she had Mia and Letty to keep her company so she didn't have to endure so much testosterone.

They were sitting under the giant tent that gave them shade just a few feet away from their cars and trailer.

Frankie seemed to be the only person here driving muscle.

She wasn't racing today.

She couldn't.

It wasn't the right time for her.

Frankie got up from her seat, walking over to the cooler where she found a nice bottle of water.

Everyone else was indulging in alcohol, beer was the preferred choice.

She didn't feel like drinking, even though she should get drunk and blackout.

Her summer at home had been a complete mess.

She couldn't wait to go back to school.

Out of everything, it was the summer romance that killed her the most. The cliche romance that always ended in heartbreak.

Her heart was broken right now, sitting with her family didn't even feel right. She just wanted to go home.

As she stood with the water bottle in her hand, Vince's eyes were glued to her figure and the outfit she wore. She had on a black bikini top, a white and sheer midriff with the same black skirt that was a bit too short, all paired with her black boots.

Half of her hair was pulled back to keep it out of her face, but stray pieces couldn't be stopped from sticking to her damp skin.

Vince realised that they hadn't spoken in so long.

No real conversation. No apology.

Frankie glanced at him, noticing the multiple women that were throwing themselves at him.

It didn't bother her anymore to see him like that.

Honestly, she didn't think that it ever bothered her.

She was just forcing herself at the time.

Frankie was always grateful for him, especially because he took her firsts. She didn't regret it even though sometimes she says she does. She was lucky that it was someone she was comfortable with rather than some stranger.

Her heart was telling her that it should've been Han.

But she'll never get that chance again.

Their eyes locked, making her smile.