CHAPTER - 17

When I get inside the car somehow I feel worse than I did when I see Navya sleeping in the backseat

"Are you okay?" Niam asks. "We got worried when you weren't answering the calls."

"I am sorry," I say slowly and he reaches out to hug me from behind.

"It's okay, Mumma." He smiles as he kisses my cheek.

"Put your seat belt," Neil announces. Niam gets back in his seat and we both put on the seat belt.

I sigh as he starts the car. I look out of the window as I think about how today's day went from being good to being worst. I reach out and wipe a tear that slips from my eye.

I have never been like this, I am good at ignoring things. I don't care what I do or what I don't. I never really had someone to take care of but it's different now I am a mother and need to be responsible. It hurts a little to know I almost failed today.

I don't think I will be able to handle it when someday they grow up and realize Neil loves them more than I do and that he takes care of them and thinks about them before he does anything.

They would think I don't love them or I don't take care of them in the right way. They are not clever enough to understand now but once they grow up they will notice everything and get to conclusions.

Unknowingly I let out a sob and my eyes instantly glance at the rearview mirror figuring out Niam would get worried if he is attentive. I gulp as I see him fall asleep holding his sister in his arms.

Neil reaches out to hold my hand and I look at him with my blurry eyes.

"You know I didn't mean to hurt you in any way." He says slowly as he keeps his gaze on the road.

I look away and reach out to wipe my tears. I know he didn't mean to hurt me but somehow I am hurt and I know it isn't his fault.

"Are you not talking to me now?" He asks as he parks the car.

"I am just tired," I say as I open the door and walk out. He sighs as he opens the back door and I help him take Niam and Navya out.

He reaches out to unlock the door as he holds Niam in his arms. I can feel his gaze on me as I hold Navya in my arms and walk up the stairs. We walk straight to their bedroom and lay them down on their beds.