xv. aurora, you are loved

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡 ♱ ˖ ࣪

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡 ♱ ˖ ࣪ . ─────

"BOYS, BOYS, HOW ABOUT WE SKIP THE STEP 'BEATING ME UP' THIS TIME?" Seventeen-year-old Nicholas asked with a cheeky grin but his eyes showed uneasiness seeing how the college bullies cornered him. "You kidding, Gornelle? That's the most fun part," The tallest man laughed mockingly and the rest followed their leader, soon laughing too.

Nicholas winced once the leader pushed his chest over and over again until he lost balance and fell on the concrete floor.

"Look how pathetic he is!"

"Awww baby Nic has tears in his eyes!"

Nicholas stared anywhere but them, his eyes did start getting teary and he felt like he couldn't breathe. All the insults thrown at him were nothing new, he'd heard a lot of it before. He clenched his fists on his side, anger bubbling up inside him.

"What are you gonna do 'bout it? Cry to your mama? Oh, wait, right! Your freaky mom's dead!"

That's it.

Nicholas could take everything they give him-every punch, kick, insult-but no one talks about his mother like that. At that exact moment, his patience snapped as his fist collided with the man who dared to speak about his mother.

Kate flinched seeing her father being beaten up. Her breathing started too heavy as she tried to shout for them to stop, but everything was an illusion, a mere memory, and there was nothing she could do to bring him back.

"You didn't have to fight them, Nic," Nicholas' older sister, Nicole, sighed as she treated his visible bruises and cuts from the fight earlier. "They called mum a freak," Nicholas hissed, pulling away from Nicole's touch.

Nicole gave him a hurt look before looking away out the window. It was silent for a few seconds before she decided to speak again, "Mum wouldn't want you fighting, even if it meant for her."

"How would you know what she wants?" Nicholas snapped, glaring at her, "You were never home, Nicole. You never saw mum crying every night for dad to come back. You never saw mum stare at the moon, praying that you visit us."

"I had to take care of dad." Nicole argued, offended by his words.

"The man who left us?!"

"Whether he left us or not, he is still our father!" Nicole frustratedly screamed, ending the argument immediately. The room was silent but the tension was too thick that none of the Gornelles could breathe. "Yeah, your right," Nicholas stood up from the bed, grabbing the hat his mother gifted him before she died, "but maybe you forgot how the old lady you couldn't even visit was our mother."