iv. the badger and the dwarf

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥 ♱ ˖ ࣪

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥 ♱ ˖ ࣪ . ─────

CASPIAN SLOWLY OPENED HIS EYES, then he blinked as he tried to look around the strange place. He fully opened his eyes as he sat up in panic. He removed the bandage from his head.

"The bread is so stale. I'll just give him some soup."

"He should be coming around soon. I don't think I hit him hard enough."

"Nikabrik, he's just a boy."

"He's a Telmarine, not some lost puppy. You said you were gonna get rid of him."

"No. I said I'd take care of him."

Caspian peaked through the wall, seeing a dwarf and a badger argue. What a strange sight. He gasped and started to breath heavily, trying to think of a way to escape.

"We can't kill him now. I just bandaged his head. It would be like murdering a guest."

"How do you think his friends are treating their guests?" Nikabrik argued stubbornly. "Trumpkin knew what he was doing. It's not the boy's fault." Defends the badger. Caspian took his chance and tried to run towards the exit, but the dwarf beat him to it as he grabbed a sword. The prince took a weapon, ready to defend himself.

He has to get out of here, find Kate, and find a new hiding place.

"I told you we should have killed him when we had the chance." The dwarf snarled, pointing his sword threateningly at him. "You know why we can't!" The badger says.

"If we're taking a vote, I'm with him." Caspian said, referring to the badger.

"We can't let him go, he's seen us!"

"Enough, Nikabrik! Or do I have to sit on your head again?" The badger scolds him, then looks at the prince, "And you. Look what you made me do. I spent half the morning making that soup."

Strange. That was all Caspian could think of. Everything here was strange. He couldn't help but ask: "What are you?"

"You know, it's funny that you would ask that. You think people would know a badger when they saw one."

"No, no. I mean..." Caspian took a long look at Nikabrik, "...you're Narnians. You're supposed to be extinct." The dwarf scoffed and walked back to his seat, "Sorry to disappoint you."

"Here you go. Still hot." The badger says, placing a new bowl of soup on the table. "Since when did we open a boarding house for Telmarine soldiers?" Nikabrik asked, much to his dismay. "I'm not a soldier," Caspian stood up, "I am Prince Caspian. The tenth."