xii. green mist and white witch

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗩𝗘 ♱ ˖ ࣪

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗩𝗘 ♱ ˖ ࣪ . ─────

A CLIFF.

Kate eyed the beautiful view then looked down, seeing the clear ocean waves. The Princess gulped then stood back up straight. In those three years that have passed, she never took swimming lessons. Yes, the water did help them defeat the Telmarines last time. Yes, she may have reconsidered being its friend-but again, she was twelve that time. What could her twelve-year-old self know?

"Pixie dust," she whispered to herself, realizing. Kate opened the brown bag safely draped across her shoulders. She remembered what Jareth had said and only took a handful of the golden sparkly dust. Breathing heavily, she carefully poured what she took over her head.

Was she flying?

Nope.

"Come on, come on," Kate muttered, "Why won't this thing work?"

Happy thoughts.

Kate bit her lip, closing her eyes tightly. She tried to search for her memories the past few days, months, years. At first, the thought of the Pevensies came through, but it still didn't lighten her heart. Caspian came in second, but it still didn't work. Unto Tewkesbury and Jareth, and still no luck.

"This is impossible." Kate frowned, her frustration starting to show. What would make her happy? If it isn't the Pevensies, or Caspian, or her newfound friends, then what does?

An image of Aliana singing to her on the nights she couldn't fall asleep appeared in her mind. Kate's breath hitch at the memory, her heart swelling and her chest tightening.

"Lavender's blue dilly dilly, lavender's green, when I am king dilly, dilly, you shall be queen. Who told you so, dilly, dilly, who told you so? 'Twas my own heart, dilly, dilly, that told me so. Lavender's green, dilly, dilly, Lavender's blue, if you love me, dilly, dilly, I will love you. Let the birds sing, dilly, dilly, and the lambs play. We shall be safe, dilly, dilly, out of harm's way."

Then she felt her body relax, her heart lightening. Kate allowed the strong wind to envelope her figure, her eyes dropping closed as she clung to the memory that she had forced herself to forget years ago.

And she was flying.

Kate looked down to the ground only to notice that her feet weren't connected to it anymore. She was literally floating in the air.

She was flying!

And a shriek was heard.

But it wasn't from a girl, no. Kate had heard that shriek before. She glanced at the cliff that would lead her to Kharnia then smiled, flying back where she left Tewkesbury and Jareth, to the ruins of Pixie Village. Aliana had to wait, because she absolutely won't do the exciting adventure alone.

The key to having your loved ones safe isn't being alone, it is to be together.

"Tewkesbury!" Kate screamed once she caught sight of what was happening. The same man they had encountered at the market days ago was there, holding a crossbow. Jareth seemed to be hit as blood was seeping out of his arm and his groans of pain were enough to prove it. "Jareth!" She screamed his name too, more worriedly.

The two looked around panickly, then at each other, then up to the sky to see the Princess flying. "Get down! Cam-get down!" Tewkesbury tried to warn her, standing up from his hiding place. He was in a varnaulable position, and Kate could see that the man had taken an aim on the Lord.

Without thinking twice, she dived right at the back of Tewkesbury, hugging his back form by his waist tightly, closing her eyes. She had noticed how stiff he went and then she heard the man take fire.

But why did she feel nothing?

Kate opened her eyes and Tewkesbury turned around, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he stood straight, just as shocked as she was. Actually, Jareth was far from shocked too, but he felt relief more.

"What the-"

"I don't think so, mister," Tabitha smirked. She had pushed the crossbow with all her strength, causing him to miss his shot. Soon, more of the pixies appeared on the sides and Tinkerbell flew beside her Queen, sharing the same smug look.

"Pesky flies," the man frowned and tried to move but couldn't. He looked down to see that his feet were tied down by vines. The vines started to crawl up his legs and he hissed, taking Tabitha in his hand, squeezing her dangerously. Tinkerbell let out a battlecry and yelled: "Attack!"

The fairies fired their arrows towards the man, making him stumble back and let the Queen go by accident. He had also lost hold of his crossbow as his back reached the floor.

"You ruined our village, our homes, our lives." Tabitha spoke in pure venom when she recovered from the tight squeeze, "I would not let you ruin their's."

The man tried to escape the tight vines covering his whole body, but couldn't move an inch. He let out a loud scream, a green mist starting to escape him through his mouth.

Jareth, Kate, and Tewkesbury slowly walked closer to him, beside Tinkerbell and Tabitha. With his arm still wrapped tightly around his Camellia, Tewkesbury spat, "Who do you work for?"

Tewkesbury did not know if he was ready to hear the answer. What if it was really his uncle that sent the killer? Is he ready to accept the fact that his own family did not want him?

"All hail the white witch, she shall return. She will return." The man creepily smiled, a vine crawling by his neck, snapping it the next second. Kate flinched at the sight of the man's death, but she didn't look away.

It was quiet.

Everyone was stunned by his answer.

"The green mist," Kate spoke, catching everyone's attention. She looked down at Tabitha, then at Jareth, and looked up to meet Tewkesbury's eyes, "I have seen it before."

"Where?" Tewkesbury asked.

"The night I dreamt of my mother."