𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘶𝘦

❝ 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐔𝐏𝐎𝐍 𝐀 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄

❝ 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐔𝐏𝐎𝐍 𝐀 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄... ❞
° ° °

"OH DEAR ASLAN, KATE, DON'T YOU EVER LISTEN?" Aliana scolded her daughter, giving her a stern look. The seven-year-old girl giggled under her breath, shyly grinning, "But mother, I do listen!"

"Yes, yes, of course. Is that why when I tell you to stay at home I come back with you covered in dirt?"

Kate took her time to look down, observing her ruined dress. She pulled her lips out in a pout then a sheepish smile. Maybe she should've taken a bath before her mother went home. "...okay, maybe I do listen sometimes...?"

Aliana sighed heavily, a small smile escaping her own lips. She was proud her daughter took after her—curious and stubborn—but she was also afraid that this might take Kate away from her. "What have I said about listening?"

"Mother always know best." Kate repeated the same thing she had been told everyday while growing up. The seven-year-old kept a tight smile when her mother bent to kiss her forehead. "It's better for you to stay here, darling. The world holds secrets. And sometimes, those secrets might lead to danger."

"Yes mother, I understand."

Aliana tried to lighten up the mood and tickled her daughter's sides, smiling brightly when giggles and shrieks left her daughter's lips. "Mother! No—please—I—ahhh!" Kate squealed and tried to squirm away out of her mother's sweet torture. Chuckling, Aliana showed mercy and let her go, pulling Kate into a gentle hug instead, "Now there's the smile. It's just us versus the world, my sweet child. Things are different now."

Of course Kate knew that. Just because she's seven doesn't mean she can't understand the things around her. She understood what her mother meant clearly. As she took a quick glance at her deceased father's portrait near the kitchen, she imagined him once again. She was sure her mother missed her husband, but Kate missed her father just as Aliana did.

It's just a bit cruel that Kate never really got to meet her father.

And also a bit unfortunate that Aliana's great fear of losing her daughter was to be very soon.

° ° °

"WHO ARE YOU?"

"P-Please..." Kate begged in a stutter, her voice barely audible. Her clothes and hair were all wet thanks to the storm that night. She was scared, alone, and she just didn't know where she was.

Glozelle exchanged looks with Sopespian, unsure of why a young child would be out in the forest at midnight. Was she abandoned? Was she a slave? Where are her parents?

"What is going on?" Miraz's loud voice almost startled them. He was intimidating and evil looking—which did not help Kate's fear at all costs. She backed away more, shaking. "We found this young girl lurking around the forest, my lord," Sopespian bowed and glanced at the child before going back to Miraz.

Miraz had a blank expression on his face. He observed the little girl and kept his head high. "And what is your name, child?"

"K-Katherine. Katherine Gornelle." Kate says. Her throat felt dry saying her real full name out loud. She always hated doing that. But right now, she started to hesitate about saying her name in the first place. Could these people be trusted? Would it be better if she had said a fake name? "B-But my mom calls me Kate, instead." She added afterwards.

"Where is your mother?" Glozelle asked.

"I...don't k-know..."

Miraz took more time analyzing the seven-year-old before climbing over his horse. "Bring the child to the castle. Prunaprismia always wanted a child of our own."

"But my lord—"

"Do you doubt me?"

Sopespian visibly showed hesitation then shook his head. "Good." Miraz then urged his horse to move, leaving to go back to the castle first. Sopespian then followed after, leaving Kate with the third man.

"You must be cold, here," Glozelle wrapped her with the extra blanket his sister always packed for him. Feeling tired, weak, and hungry, Kate let herself be carried to the horse and soon fell asleep once a huge castle was in her sight.

She should have listened to her mother about never leaving the house.