Chapter 61: This Needs To Work

Once we returned back to the base, Coulson gathered Viktor, Skye, and me in his office along with May to talk about the strange alien artifact back on the Iliad. Skye shook her head, baffled. "I have no idea. Seriously, I have never heard of anything like that before, and neither has Lincoln." 

"And you believe him?" Coulson questioned, surprising me.

"Why wouldn't I?" Skye inquired just as shocked.

"You barely know him." Coulson pointed out.

"I know enough. He and Jiaying helped me. They never tried to hurt me. They taught me to channel my power so I wasn't hurting myself." Skye argued.

"They helped all of us." I chimed in.

"These are good people, Coulson." Viktor added.

"Are they? People, I mean. Look, I know you feel connected to this group, but you won't tell us much about them, you're keeping to yourself..." Coulson began.

"I've been taking care of Lincoln." Skye pointed out.

"And we were with the Avengers." I reminded him.

"Okay, but from our perspective, we don't even know what to call them." Coulson pointed out.

"Inhumans." Skye mentioned, baffling Coulson.

"Our ancient ancestors called themselves Inhumans, and we just want to be left alone." I clarified.

"We?" Coulson repeated, more confused than ever.

"If they want to be left alone, then why infiltrate a military vessel?" May inquired.

"You're assuming that this thing is a weapon." Skye said.

"Well, we shouldn't immediately assume it's a weapon." I stated.

"Well, it's in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s possession. Maybe they're just afraid of it...afraid of what Gonzales might do with it." Skye suggested.

"We're not the enemy here." Coulson argued.

"This man teleported onboard. He's clearly very dangerous." May warned.

"Well, same could be said about you, May." Skye shot back.

May immediately grew silent as her face fell. My heart clenched. Immediately, I intervened, shaking my head. "Skye."

"I heard about what happened to that little girl in Bahrain. Jiaying told me the whole story. Did you know that she was Inhuman?" Skye continued, ignoring me. "They both were. So you, of all people, should understand why they'd want to keep their location a secret...what they're so afraid of."

May looked devastated at her words. I grimaced. Not good...I mean it could've gone even worse. May remained silent, causing Skye to storm out of the office.

"I'm sorry about Skye—" I apologized.

"You both know about that day?" May asked, cutting me off.

Both Viktor and I exchanged a hesitant look before turning back to face May. It's better to say the truth than to lie. Besides May's got that stern face and her arms are crossed. That's never a good thing.