Chapter 35: The Providence

I remained silent as I followed Coulson and May into Coulson's office. Once we were inside, Coulson shut the door, so no one would hear us. Coulson immediately turned to face me.

"Did you know that May was reporting to Fury?" Coulson asked.

I looked over at May, completely baffled. "You did what?"

May immediately shook her head, intervening. "She didn't any of that. This was my job and mine alone. Fury didn't tell her a word, I was there."

Coulson raised an eyebrow. "You both met with Fury?"

Oh Force...I exchanged a look. I could feel his rage growing. I frantically explained what he didn't know, afraid of breaking his trust. "This was before Skye and Viktor were shot. He contacted me, told me he wanted to meet with me. When I found him, May was there. Fury wanted to see me, inform me that he would become my S.O. as I needed one."

"She's telling the truth. Like she said, I was there." May chimed in, defending me. "Fury insisted to become her S.O., even when I offered to become hers. But he agreed that I would supervise her training while he was not around."

I was taken back that May would support me and take my side. I turned towards May, giving her a small smile and a nod, which May returned. We then both looked at Coulson, who seemed to simmer down, yet I could still see and feel his anger.

"This isn't her fault. It's all mine." May insisted.

I anxiously waited for Coulson's response. His shoulders slumped as he let out a sigh. "No, you're right, Vega's not the one to blame here."

Coulson glanced over at May, narrowing his eyes at her before storming out with May trailing behind him. Not long after that, Godric and Ana were in the briefing room of the Bus in charge of bringing back the flight system. Coulson and I were in the control room, trying to discover how much damage had been done across the globe and which agents and bases were still left.

"Today, world leaders are scrambling for answers as the world's most advanced spy agency was crippled by a series of attacks. The president contends this is the biggest intelligence leak in world history. But what's most disturbing..." A reporter announced on the news, which we had on the screens.

"Sir..." An agent then called out as she approached us.

"Find Agent Martin." Coulson ordered. "We need a back channel to the U.N., someone we can trust."

The agent nodded before walking off. At that moment, Skye walked towards us, holding her datapad in her hand. "I made a list of S.H.I.E.L.D. bases we believe are secure." Skye mentioned.

"How many so far?" Coulson asked. "Seven?"

"Three." Skye replied.

"And the Hub." I added.

"Including the Hub." Skye confirmed.

Both Coulson and I stared at Skye, baffled. Only three? Skye noticed our reactions as she quickly added. "It's a preliminary list. I'm sure more will turn up."

I appreciate her trying to cheer us up. This is still hard for me to wrap my head around. We all looked back at the main screen, which had the news channel on. A reporter continued on speaking. "...The members of Congress are calling for investigation. But it's still unclear who should be held accountable. Many of its leaders have vanished, leaving S.H.I.E.L.D. fractured and powerless."

"You were right all along. Having all this out there in the world makes it too dangerous, and now...there's no one left to protect it." Skye mentioned.

"There's us." I pointed out.

"We were lucky enough to make it through. The Triskelion, the Hub...Those battles are just the beginning of this war. Hydra's out there now, but at least our team's still intact. We can fight them, and we will." Coulson chimed in, wearing a determined look.