Chapter 39

|Scar Mejia|

"So the Walcott's were the first. At least the first that we know about. Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute. Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk. But then The Mute was killed by Peter Hale after he tried to blow up Derek with a Claymore mine. Next was Demarco. He delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house and got decapitated outside his car. Then last night, 23-year-old Carrie Hudson." Stiles explained the past deaths.

"It's a dead pool. A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest still has to be decoded." Scott placed the list on the desk.

Sean Walcott 250
David Walcott 250
Michael Walcott 250
Christina Walcott 250
Lydia Martin 20
Scott McCall 25
Scarlett Mejia 23
Demarco Montana 250
Derek Hale 15
Carrie Hudson 500
Kayleen Bettcher 250
Kira Yukimura 6

"Who found the list?" Dad asked.

"Lydia." I answered.

"How?"

"She wrote it. Actually, she transcribed it. Without realizing it."

"Banshee?"

"Banshee."

Dad looked back at the list, "All right, what are these numbers next to the names?"

"We're getting to that. First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key." I told him.

"Wait. You mean, like a... Like a key word?"

"It's actually a name."

"Allison." Scott whispered.

"Her name broke a third of the list." Stiles said.

"Now we think there's two other cipher keys." Scott added.

"Which will give us the rest of the names." I added.

"How do we get the cipher keys?" Dad asked.

"Same way we got the code."

"Lydia. She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two key words."

"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie. Hmm? What about the other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher or Elias Town. They werewolves too?"

I shrugged, "We don't know. Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."

"Here being Beacon Hills or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000. But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000. Look, how many werewolves, banshees, kitsunes and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? What happens if the next cipher key uncovers not 12 names but 100?" Dad asked.

"We don't think there would be that many. There's a limit because of the numbers."

"We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to 117." Stiles said.

"117 what?"

"Million." Scott replied.

Stiles nodded, "117 million, Dad. Stolen from the Hale vault and is being used by someone to finance all these murders."

"Someone who wants every supernatural in Beacon Hills dead." Scott mumbled.

"So coded list goes out and somehow these professional assassins get that list and a key. Then they go after the names on the list. They being killers with no mouths, tomahawks, thermo-cut wires that can take your head off."