Chapter 11

|Scar Mejia|

"It'll be over soon, buddy." I whispered to the dog that was about to get a needle put into his leg.

I heard someone walk in.

"Would you mind seeing who that was?" Deaton asked me.

I nodded and stood up. Suddenly, all the dogs started barking. Werewolf. All three of us went to the front door. It was Isaac.

"It's okay, Isaac. We're open."

He walked into the back with us. Isaac watched as we went back to helping the dog.

"Why does it smell like that?" Isaac asked.

Scott and I laughed while Deaton just smiled.

"What?"

"Scott and Scar said almost the same thing to me a few days ago. One day they could somehow tell the difference between which animals were getting better and which were not." Deaton looked down at the dog in front of us.

"He's not getting better, is he?" Isaac asked.

I shook my head.

"Like cancer."

"Osteosarcoma. It has a very distinct scent, doesn't it?" We all nodded.

"Can I teach him the trick?"

Deaton nodded. I gestured for Isaac to come closer.

"Give me your hand." I guided Isaac's hand to the dog's stomach.

I watched as his veins turned black.

"What did I just do?" Isaac panicked.

"Relax. You took some of his pain away."

"Only a little bit but sometimes a little can make quite a difference." Deaton smiled.

I saw a tear fall down Isaac's face. I wiped it away before he could.

"It's okay. First time he showed me, I cried too." Scott smiled, causing Isaac to laugh.

___________________________

"They're leaving tonight, during the game." Isaac told me.

"Why are you telling me?"

"I'm not telling you. I'm asking... for your advice."

"I don't know. Part of me wants to leave and be with my brother but the other part wants to stay and help. I have people who need my help." I mumbled.

"I guess that means me lucky 'cause I don't have anyone, so." Isaac stood up to leave but I grabbed his arm.

"You have me, Isaac. I don't know how you feel about me but I consider you a friend of mine and as a friend, I'm not gonna stop you if you decide to leave."

He looked at me then looked away, "You're an awesome friend."
_______________________________

"What the hell is he talking about?" Momma McCall asked Stiles.

"He does this every year."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"I've heard that speech before." I mumbled, referring to the pep talk Coach was saying.

"Yeah, it's the speech from Independence Day," Stiles said, "It's his favorite movie."

"He doesn't know any sport speeches?" Melissa asked.

"I don't think he cares."

"Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" We all cheered.