Chapter 37

Dillon's POV:

I drive down the road, pressing my foot down against the gas pedal to get to the hospital. Guilt sinks in hard, as Kristy & I had been in that bathroom for about an hour, simply talking. I know that she can't handle a hug even if it's just for comfort, but I think deep down, her talking about everything helped. It was good just to get her to let out the feelings that she's surely kept bottled up all this time. 

Now though, I'm sure we both feel bad because during that time our friend has been in the hospital for who knows what. Man, I'm such a terrible friend. Although Lexi sounded fine on the phone, something is up.  

Looking over to the hurting girl beside me though, I can't find myself regretting anything except not being able to help her. She's been through so much more than I could ever have imagined. 

About less than two years ago when she was 18, she had found out that she was pregnant with Jason's baby. He was a completely different guy back then, & he was actually excited about the baby, wanting to be 100% involved in it's life, like any good boyfriend & soon to be dad should be. She said that he would have been the perfect father, especially after seeing how supportive he was. Seeing how he is now though, I can't even bring myself to believe that he was as good of a man as she claims. 

Her parents, not so supportive. Instead of trying to console her, they were so angry & disappointed in her that they kicked her out. On the brighter side, she had already saved a lot of money with her job at the restaurant so she moved into what's now her current apartment. Despite her parents betrayal, she was still happy with Jason. She knew that she might would have to wait on some things in life, but she would love the baby, & with her boyfriend by her side, it was a good enough life for her. 

Nine months later, she had a stillborn. Kristy was heartbroken & completely devastated, but it was Jason she was worried about. He started to act more angry against her, lashing out at the most random things, & started to go out late drinking. He started abusing her about after three months after the baby's death. 

My grip on the steering wheel tightens involuntarily as everything replays in my mind. My knuckles turn a ghostly shade of white, so while I grit my teeth in frustration, I lessen my grip. I can understand why he was upset, but I would never, EVER, treat a girl like that. Whether Kristy agrees with me or not, he deserves to rot in jail. 

"Are you going to be staying at Lexi's place tonight?" I ask, keeping my eyes on the road ahead of me. I hope she is, because there is no way I can let her go back to her place with Jason being drunk. 

"No," she says quietly. "I don't want her to know what's going on. Not yet anyway." 

"You aren't planning on going back to your apartment tonight are you? That's too dangerous." 

"Well I've been doing it for years so it's not really a big deal," she snaps. "Let's just hurry to the hospital. What happened to her?" Oh, the change the subject card. 

"I don't know," I answer sadly, turning my gaze to the nearing hospital. Within minutes we park & go inside, trying to hope for the best.

We walk into the room, & my eyes widen as I take in the sight before me. There is Lexi sitting at the edge of the bed, with 2 crutches leaning beside her as she talks to two police officers. All eyes turn to us as we walk further into the room, anxious to learn what has happened. 

"Lexi! What the hell has happened?" Kristy asks, nearly running over to her. I notice that she keeps her hands hidden under the long sleeves of her coat, clearly not wanting attention put on them. Questions would be asked, & she certainly doesn't want to do anything that could put her oh so amazing boyfriend in jail. Clicking my tongue in angry remembrance, I follow behind a few steps. 

Lexi explains everything, detail by detail. By the end, the anger I had for Jason returns, but this time it isn't for him, but the bastards that took her. 

"Who the-" Kristy's hand covers my mouth, not wanting to deal with my rage again in the same night. 

"The important thing is that now you're safe." I nod in agreement, her hand still on my lips. 

"For how long, though?" Lexi asks, concern filling her eyes. "& they said that they know about you guys, & about my family." 

"What about Hunter?" Kristy asks with raised eyebrows. 

"Your boyfriend, right?" The cop, who I realize if the one who helped me out earlier, asks as he looks at Lexi. She nods in confirmation. 

"They never actually threatened him. They just wanted me to break up with him." 

"That's weird," I chip in after the hand finally drops from my mouth. 

"That's suspicious," the cop notes, narrowing his eyes. Lexi glares at him with tight lips, realizing that he's already putting Hunter on the list of suspects that are involved. "I guess I have all the information I need to get the investigation in gear. Will keep in contact," he announces before he leaves, with his fellow cop trailing along silently. 

"Sir," I call out, watching as he turns back around. "Thank you." With a knowing smile, he gives a nod before leaving. I turn to look at the girls, & think about how everything that's happened today. 

Everything has changed. 

For the worse.

*So Valentine's day is coming up, anyone got any plans with a special someone? I'll be spending the night with Hunter...'s album. xD expect another interesting chapter on V's Day. (;*