43

Shangguan Hao's people were all killed by Su Mu, but the boulders blocking the narrow mountain road could not be removed. They could only rely on the soldiers to climb over it step by step, and then carefully climb down by ropes. As a result, the marching speed was dragged to the slowest, the speed almost comparable to ants.

Su Mu paced back and forth inside the tent with the letter in his hand, his hair almost falling out from anxiety. The imperial city was easy to defend and difficult to attack. So once it really fell, it would be difficult to take it back from the rebels.

Just as Su Mu was frowning, even worse news was brought to Su Mu.

Shi Yan greeted with cupped fists and reported: "Your Highness, the bridge on the Xijiang River ten miles away was cut off, and other nearby cable bridges were also cut off. All the people we left behind are also missing."

Su Mu, who was sitting on the chair, squeezed his fists tightly. He took a deep breath to suppress the anger in his heart and said, "Build the bridge again."

Shi Yan replied in a deep voice: "Yes."

Su Mu watched Shi Yan walk out of the camp with a darkening face. His mood was anxious and irritated to the point he wanted to kill something.

This was the birthplace of the Xijiang River, the lifeline of the Qing kingdom. The terrain on both sides of the strait was steep and turbulent. It was not easy to build a cable bridge that could pass hundreds of thousands of troops in a short period of time. He was afraid that this would delay them for an additional several days.

No, he must not let the enemy lead him by the nose.

Su Mu fiercely stood up and strode out of the camp.

Yun Feiyu, who was lying on the bed on the other side of the camp, moved slowly to take the medicine from the guard and drank it all without frowning.

The pale cheeks and the tired look caused him to look like a withered flower, inspiring pity and distress from all who saw him.

The medicine bowl in his hand was taken over. Yun Feiyu frowned and covered his lips with a hand, coughing a few times before asking the person in a hoarse voice: "How is Prince Wu? How is the progress ahead?"

The guard gave Yun Feiyu a worried look, and replied in a low voice: "Gongzi, Prince Wu was assassinated half a month ago and suffered some injuries but it is no longer a serious problem. He has reached an agreement with Prince Cheng of Zheng kingdom to borrow troops. When the imperial city is captured, Prince Wu will in turn assist Prince Cheng to ascend the throne."

Yun Feiyu put down his hand and asked, "How many soldiers are borrowed?"

The guard said: "Thirty thousand."

Yun Feiyu slowly nodded and said: "Go back and send a letter to Prince Wu. Their movements must be fast. The soldiers of the Wu kingdom are brave and good at fighting, and the commanding general is Sun Haoran, the son of Wu kingdom's war god the Prince of Rong. Once the army arrives in the imperial city, we will not have a chance again."

The guard said: "Gongzi, this time not only our southwest army, but also the southeast army and Tian Guohai mobilized almost all of their forces. The total number is about 150,000 people. The army of the Wu kingdom has been exhausted from the long journey to Qing kingdom. Who wins and who loses, is it not certain?"

Yun Feiyu shook his head and said, "There is no doubt that the forces of Wu kingdom will win in a head-on collision. We seem to have a lot of people, but they are actually a pile of scattered sand. This mountain is a natural barrier to prevent the army from advancing, with the road being blocked and the Xijiang cable bridges cut off. After that is the Jinyang City which is sealed by Su Bing to avenge his father. It can delay them for at least another ten days. After Jinyang City there is only endless fertile field and nothing that can stop the army of the Wu kingdom."