71

The journey from Anyang County back to the imperial city was unexpectedly uneventful. The assassination attempts that Su Mu had predicted did not happen, but this was exactly what Su Mu was worried about. Knowing to lay in wait after being unable to kill with a single blow. An enemy with a brain was more troublesome than someone who only knew to throw away his life.

But as soon as he returned to the imperial city, Su Mu had no time to think about assassins. The imperial court was in a mess because he had left for half a month. Su Mu's New Laws encountered great obstacles as that group of court officials simply did not take his words seriously, after all, who would hand over the meat that was already eaten in one's mouth. As a businessman in his previous life, he could understand this, but this did not prevent him from forcefully taking the meat out of those people's stomachs.

Crystal drops of water rolled down the pale body, as alluring as a flower covered with dew. However, the maids who were serving on the side did not dare to look at him. Su Mu had just finished getting dressed when Liu Xi walked in from the door. Instantly, the somewhat dim room seemed to brighten immediately.

"Have all the people arrived?" Su Mu stretched out his arms to let the maid tie his belt.

Liu Xi respectfully said: "Answering Your Highness, they have all arrived."

At this moment, the people standing in the great hall of the Crown Prince's Palace could not contain their excitement. The first thing the Crown Prince did when he came back from his trip was not to hold court, nor to summon the old officials, but to summon them. The Crown Prince was the future emperor, and the meaning behind this went without saying. The eunuch's shrill voice came from outside the door: "The Crown Prince has arrived."

The dozen people in the great hall immediately stood up and said to Su Mu: "Paying respects to Your Highness."

Su Mu raised his hand, "No need to be courteous." He walked to the main seat and sat down, looking at the young people who were present and saying, "The past days that Ben Gong has not been present, you all have worked hard."

Everyone bowed their heads and responded: "This is only this official's duty, His Highness over-praises us."

Su Mu nodded and asked, "How is the progress of the characters and teaching materials?"

Su Mu wanted to establish public schools so a large number of textbooks and a system of simplified characters were indispensable, otherwise knowledge would still be something belonging to the upper class.

Lin Siyuan stepped forward and handed him a thin book: "This is a textbook written in simplified characters, please have a look."

Su Mu opened the book and glanced through it for a few moments, then closed the book and said to Lin Siyuan: "You can start printing."

Then he asked Liu Xi: "Has the three academies begun construction yet?"

Liu Xi stepped forward and replied: "Your Highness, construction has just started."

Su Mu said: "As the supervisor you must supervise it well, the construction of the three academies is not allowed to have any mistakes. This time you left the imperial city without authorization and will be punished with a three months deduction of salary. The next time you commit another crime, the punishment will be doubled."

Su Mu then shifted his gaze to Huang Xuan who had just let out a sigh of relief, and said sternly: "And you too, without an official order from Ben Gong and leaving your post without permission, you will also be fined with Liu Xi together."

Liu Xi glanced at the domineering and majestic Crown Prince, his heart feeling as if it was tickled by a kitten's paw. Huang Xuan lowered his head with shame: "This official understands."