CHAPTER 22 - THE INJURY

"I have to be honest with you, Y/N- this does not look good at all," Hoseok explained as he examined my ankle carefully. "The bruising is already pretty bad, and the swelling is worse. You're lucky it's not a break, but you probably do have a sprain."

I grimaced, listening to his words. I sought out Hoseok's advice as a fellow dancer who would understand how much pressure I would need to put on my ankle to manage creating the choreography for my song. I wasn't sure who else I could turn to in this situation.

"You need to get it checked out by an actual doctor," he spoke seriously.

"That's not an option- I can't get eliminated from the competition for this," I shook my head vehemently. "If I am lucky, and we've already established that I am, then this isn't even a sprain, and it will heal within a few days."

"That's an absolute best-case scenario," he buried his head in his hands. "You have to perform within a few days, how are you going to create the choreography and practice without putting your ankle under any further pressure?"

"I'll sit."

Hoseok shook his head in vexation and frowned, "You're not going to listen to me, are you?"

"I'm sorry, I can't," I admitted. "Thank you for taking a look at it, I really do appreciate it." Going to the staff doctor for my injury would result in instant elimination if it turned out to be a legitimate sprain. Letting me perform knowing I was injured would be a legal nightmare waiting to happen- I knew that. They would take the path of least resistance, and that would mean simply sending me home.

"At least let me wrap your ankle," Hoseok said, rising from his chair and making his way to the bathroom to grab supplies.

There was a knock on the door, so I yelled back to Hoseok, "should I get that?"

"Sure, yeah," he shouted. "Jin was bringing over some leftovers for lunch...just be careful getting up!"

I lifted up from my chair slowly, mindful of my right ankle, making sure that I kept all my weight on my left leg. I hobbled over to the door opened it up- but I was not greeted with the man that I was expecting.

"What're you doing here?" Jungkook asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Hoseok emerged from the bathroom, medical supplies piled in his arms, and stared at the man in shock. "Uh- she came to ask for some advice on the song." I kicked myself for letting Hoseok answer first, knowing full well that Jungkook would instantly see through that lie.

"No. She didn't," Jungkook replied sharply, narrowing his eyes at Hoseok. "She wouldn't. What is all of that?"

I spoke up before Hoseok, this time, "I had a minor injury...I asked Hoseok to look at it for me before I started my choreography today."

Jungkook immediately looked down at my ankle, black and blue and obviously swollen. He pursed his lips, visibly irritated. "You told me you were fine- you lied to me, Y/N."

"I'm sorry...I didn't want to worry you," I spoke softly, wanting to shrink out of existence.

"You don't even trust me enough to help you with this," he spat out, shaking his head in frustration. He turned away, not bothering to say another word, and closed the door behind him. My heart was heavy with the regret I was feeling. I should have told him...

"Should I go to him?" I sighed, looking back at Hoseok, who was still standing awkwardly in place with the materials to wrap my ankle.