CHAPTER 6 - THE INVITATION

After more time than I'd like to admit, I decided on a white skirt with a matching crop tank, a denim jacket, and white sneakers. My hair was tied half up in loose waves and just a light makeup applied. I glanced in the mirror, examining myself, and hoping it didn't look like I was trying too hard. I caught Mina staring at me suspiciously out of the corner of my eye.

"What?" I asked her, continuing to smooth out my clothing.

"Are you going on a date?" Mina asked casually, yet I nearly fell over in surprise.

"No, I'm just going out." A white lie. Was it even a lie? This wasn't a date. I knew that. "It's our off day, I want to explore New York a bit."

"Well, I would go with you, because I don't think its safe for you to go out all on your own..." Mina started, trailing off her words. "...but I don't think I have to worry about you being on your own," she winked.

I rolled my eyes and gave her a hug before grabbing my bag and starting to walk out of our room. I heard her shout after me, giggling loudly, as the door was closing, "have fun on your date!"

Back behind the studio, I checked my watch. 10:50am. I made it with time to spare. In the quiet, my mind raced thinking about why Jungkook had left me a note to meet him. Perhaps he wanted to go over my song before the next time we met for the competition- but I just couldn't see him cheating the system like that. Maybe my song was so bad he was sparing me the embarrassment of telling me in front of the cameras?

A hand on my shoulder snapped me out of my thoughts. "Hey, Y/N," a gentle voice spoke from behind.

I turned and saw Jungkook waiting behind me, dressed in black head to toe with a bucket hat and facemask concealing his features. "Sorry, but we will need to get going right away," Jungkook spoke, his voice slightly muffled by the cloth. He took off, beckoning me to follow him.

"Where exactly are we going?" I questioned, keeping up with his brisk pace.

"It's nearby, don't worry," he replied, looking over his shoulder at me. "It's a private little spot I found."

I continued to follow him through various backstreets, which perhaps was a bit crazy on my part. Jungkook could've secretly been a serial killer luring me to his murder den...but there were worst ways to go. Eventually, we made it to a small, quaint shop that appeared to be some sort of eatery. A wooden sign hanging on the front read 'Paradise'. Jungkook held the door open for me, and I took the lead inside.

A petite, young girl greeted us at the front. "Upstairs, again?" she asked, looking over at Jungkook. I watched as he nodded and clapped his hands together with a bow as a thank you. The girl led us up the stairs to a secluded table in the corner, laying a menu down gently before taking her leave.

Jungkook relaxed into his chair and removed his mask for the first time. "Sorry, I have to take a lot of precautions and move fast when I go out without security," he said, looking a bit abashed.

"You don't have to apologize. That must be hard on you," I looked at him sympathetically.

His eyes softened and a wide smile returned to his face. "I don't really have an excuse for taking you out here," he laughed scratching the back of his head. "I just thought it would be nice to have company and that we could get to know each other better since we will be working together for a bit."

"I love food!" I said, excitedly. "I would never complain about a brunch date!" As the last words left my mouth, I froze awkwardly, feeling my cheeks beginning to blush. Did I seriously just call this a date? In my head, I was punching myself over and over and bracing for his reaction.