CHAPTER 3 - THE LOOK

Da-Eun led me and nine others, my fellow competitors, into a massive ballroom, decorated beautifully and extravagantly. I felt severely underdressed, still wearing the clothes from my flight- a pair of ripped jeans and an oversized t shirt with chucks. I looked down at myself self-consciously, and Da-Eun must have caught on to the look on my face. "Don't worry everyone, you're about to get the star treatment."

She continued to lead us backstage where a barrage of staff workers could be found running back and forth with hair and makeup supplies, as well as various articles of clothing. The room was also filled with camera and audio crew who already started moving in on us to set us up with our mics. Da-Eun promptly turned on her heel and spoke to the group, "Enjoy, and please start thinking about which instrument you will be playing for your artists this evening."

With her words I nearly choked on my spit and started coughing violently. Several others in our group started gasping with surprise and visibly panicking. Before I had a moment to gather my thoughts, a stylist was pulling me into a nearby chair.

"Please, allow me to get you ready," the young girl spoke kindly. She instantly started cleansing my face and preparing her makeup brushes.

I zoned out, trying to think of what instrument- and even more so what song I was going to perform. I was most experienced with the piano, but I worried that this was the case for most of the contestants here, and that I would have a hard time standing out. Guitar was another option, but I wasn't sure if I could play it well enough to make it captivating on its own. My last option would be the violin- but I hadn't practiced in months. I decided to stick with the piano. I would find a way to be remembered- I wouldn't play what anyone expected.

After my time in the makeup chair was complete the young girl led me over to a stylist behind a small curtain. There was a rack of multiple different colored dresses, along with shoes laid across the bottom, and several accessories lined up on the table. My eyes sparkled- this was nothing like my wardrobe at home.

The stylist turned to me, "what sort of look would you like to go for?"

I was honestly surprised they even gave me the option to provide input on what I would be wearing, but I was glad they did. This would just be another step in my plan. A complete contradiction to the piece I intended to play. I wanted to surprise them. "Please dress me sweet and delicately," I smiled softly.

The stylist nodded and pulled out a baby blue hi-low dress with stunning, pink floral embroidery. She helped me change into my dress and handed me a pair of pink high heels to change into. "Will you be okay to walk in these?" she asked. I nodded and slipped them on my feet. Years of dance had trained me to not only walk, but dance in heels with ease.

I was passed off to the hair styling station for the final touches. "Wow, what a charming look!" the stylist exclaimed. "I think keeping your hair long, with romantic waves will be the perfect touch," she said as she pulled forward her curling iron. She finished with my hair within what felt like just a few minutes. Or perhaps time was just flying by so quickly because of how nervous I was.

It felt like only an instant before they were lining us up to head out on the stage and perform. My placement ended up being tenth- the last to perform. Much as I expected, many of those before me chose to play the piano. Also, as I predicted, many classical, and technically difficult, songs were played. We heard Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky pieces. A couple of the competitors went with more modern pop ballads by both Korean and American artists.

When it was my turn to step out, I took a deep breathe and tried to clear my head of any fears and doubts. I stepped into the light and walked slowly over to the grand piano in the middle of the stage, without even a glance to the audience. I couldn't afford to have my nerves rattled. Another deep breath as my fingers lightly grazed the keys. Nobody had dared to play a BTS song in front of BTS themselves, nor had they thought to step out of the realm of ballads and classics. I was taking a risk and doing both.

I placed my fingers down to play the first notes of 'ON'. Starting out strong, with a deep, slow intro, and quickening the pace at the point where the lyrics would've begun in the song. I bobbed back and forth between the slow and fast tempos of the song, building up an exciting performance. I put as much emotion as I could into the music- singing along to the lyrics in my head. This was my way of showing that I was here to fight.

As I completed the piece, I stood up and looked out into the audience for the first time. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I spotted BTS sitting front and center. I checked each of their faces to try to find some sort of reaction, whether it be approval or disapproval. Jin, Namjoon, and Yoongi were next to each other clapping gently, nodding their heads, and smiling. They turned to each other, exchanging comments. Hoseok and Jimin were clapping and cheering excitedly. Taehyung was laughing at his hyung's crazy reactions. On the end of the row was Jungkook, he glanced up at me with such an intense stare that I could barely breathe. I felt if I looked at him any longer, I would collapse, so I took my bow and walked swiftly off the stage.

Back behind the curtains, I rejoined my group of competitors. A few gave me brief congratulatory words, but one girl ran up to me with such excitement she nearly knocked me over. "That was amazing!" the girl exclaimed, clapping her hands to her face. "I'm Mina. What's your name?"

"Thank you, Mina. I'm Y/N," I shook her hand. "Your performance of 'Waltz of the Flowers' was beautiful," I complimented. She was probably the most technically perfect pianist that had played tonight. She must've trained a lot.

"Thank you as well," she giggled. "I just wish I had the guts to be as bold as you were!"

"I hope it wasn't a mistake," I bit my lip.

Our conversation was interrupted by Da-Eun stepping back in front of the group. "What lovely performances!" she cheered, clapping her hands. "Please follow me back to the stage for assessment."

We all followed behind her, anticipating what was to come next. "From here, we will reveal the scores of your performances," she started. "The individual with the top score will have an advantage in the next competition, while the two lowest scores will be eliminated today." Everyone's eyes widened at her statement. Nobody expected anyone to be sent home on day one.

Da-Eun started in the middle- classic dramatic effect for television. She continued listing names and scores until only the top two and the bottom two were remaining- and I had yet to hear my name. Mina stood next to me fiddling with her fingers- her name had also not been called. "I will now give the names of the first and second place positions. Those whose names are not called, please say your goodbyes and head to exit on your right." Almost instinctively, Mina and I exchanged a nervous glance, and we grabbed each other's hands.

"Our first and second place, respectively, Mina and Y/N!" Da-Eun cheered. She ushered the two of us forward. We squeezed hands one last time and let go of one another, both of us in complete shock. We took a bow and stepped back into line. "Now, please look forward to a few words from our amazing artists!" Da-Eun continued, spreading her arm out to where BTS was seated.

The group of men stood up, and Namjoon to the microphone to start. "Thank you all so much for performing for us," he spoke kindly. "We truly enjoyed each performance, and we look forward to seeing what else you will show us."

Hoseok took the mic next with a beaming, bright smile, "Wow! So amazing!" he cheered out excitedly. "To think one of you will become our producer, wow!" A couple of the boys echoed his statements.

Hoseok handed the mic off to Jungkook, who took it earnestly, "I was very impressed with the performances tonight," he slowly glanced between all of us on stage until his eyes met mine. It felt like he was staring into my soul. Our eyes had to have been locked for an eternity before he spoke again, still unwavering in his eye contact with me, "I am so excited to work with you." With that, he finally looked away and I was able to take in a deep breath. What the hell kind of feeling was that?