CHAPTER 30 - THE OFFER

"You're really quiet today, Y/N, are you okay?" Jungkook peered up at me from his position resting his head in my lap. We were snuggled up on the couch in his room, stealing a bit of time together before I had to spend the rest of the day recording.

I gently ran my fingers through his dark locks. "I'm fine, just nervous."

"You could always share a bit of your song with me. It's not fair, both Hobi and Namjoon keep bragging about how amazing you sounded," he pouted.

"I want it to be a surprise," I whined, giggling at his adorable attempts to change my mind. "You were a big inspiration for the song, so I want the first time you hear it to be the complete version."

"Fine, I understand," he stuck his tongue out teasingly. "Maybe I'll just use you as my inspiration and write something, too," he winked.

I felt awful keeping what happened with Jia from Jungkook, but I already knew what his response would be, and I wanted time to think about things myself. He would certainly tell me not to throw the competition. He would tell me that he could handle whatever happened to him. But that was exactly what I wanted to avoid- I didn't want him to have to deal with anything because of me. He was always so sweet and considerate; I couldn't bare the thought of him taking the fall for me.

When Jungkook left the room to go grab us snacks, I took the opportunity to call up Mina for advice. If there was anyone who could violently knock some sense into me, it was her.

"Hello, my bestie," Mina answered the line cheerfully.

"I'm screwed," I sighed, rubbing my eyes.

"What happened?" she asked, her tone suddenly shifting to something serious.

"Jia found one of the notes that Jungkook sent me and now she's threatening to use it to ruin his life since she can't prove that it was written to me," I explained, biting my lip in frustration. "Or- I can throw the competition and she will leave him alone."

"That evil- I swear to- I will kill her," Mina screeched into the phone, making me pull the phone a bit away from my ear. "Which one does she have?" she asked, calming herself down.

"I don't know- that's the worst part. Some are more incriminating than others."

"What did Jungkook say?"

"...I didn't tell him," I muttered softly.

"Y/N!" Mina yelled through the phone again. "You can't hide something like this!"

"I won't let him get hurt because of me!" I yelled back, overwhelmed with panic and anger.

"I'm sorry..." Mina sighed out, regret in her voice. "I don't mean to get upset with you. Maybe you can ask Namjoon for advice since he's your partner...I just really don't know what you should do."

"I know, it's okay," I reassured her. "You're right, I do need to ask someone for help. I'll talk to you later."

Jungkook returned to the room just as I was hanging up the call. "Hungry?" he asked, holding up a plastic bag filled with snacks and drinks.

"Sorry, Jungkook..." I avoided looking at him. "I'm actually feeling really anxious about things- I think I want to get a head start on recording," I shot him a weak smile.

He took my hand in his as I turned to leave, pulling me up against his chest. "Everything will be okay, no matter what," he whispered, resting his chin on the top of my head. I melted into his touch, needing more than anything to just be in his arms for a moment. It felt so right, it was painful.