CHAPTER 16 - THE CEREMONY

I stared at myself in the mirror, not truly looking at anything at all, as makeup brushes poked and prodded at my face. I was being prepped to go on stage for the next round of eliminations- this time a much more extravagant event. We were informed that we would be dropping down to just four contestants, news that normally would have had me shaking with nervous energy, but this time I already knew that I had made it to the top four. I just didn't know where I fell in those four rankings.

I raised from my chair and took a glance at my full image- dressed to the nines in a floor length, black, sequined gown. The staff had made me look so much more elegant than I was used to- it was hard to believe that I was even looking at my own reflection. The hair and makeup team were truly magicians to have been able to create such a transformation.

"Woah, what a stunner," Mina gasped cheekily, poking her head around the corner.

"Shh, you are the real stunner," I replied, taking in her gorgeous appearance. Her ruffled, baby pink gown suited her perfectly, accentuating her delicate features.

"If I go home today...don't forget about me, okay?" Mina laughed, locking her arm with mine. I could tell she was hiding her genuine concern about the situation. Her hands were shaking ever so slightly.

"You're not going home," I replied seriously. "You're talented and you deserve to be here. Get it out of your head that going home is even a possibility."

Mina gave me a tiny pout and pulled me closer to her as we walked towards the stage entrance. "Thanks Y/N...really." Her voice was shaky, holding in the emotions that threatened to burst out.

Mina, I, and the other five contestants were ushered on to the stage and positioned to line up behind Da-Eun. I recalled the show producer's request to act surprised by my survival in the competition and frowned at the ridiculousness of it all. I felt a tinge of guilt, somehow, over already knowing that I would be moving on to the next round while my fellow contestants stood beside me anxiously awaiting their result.

"Thank you for joining us tonight!" Da-Eun spoke up excitedly, interrupting my thoughts. "We will now begin the ranking for the semi-finals. We will be announcing the ranking of those who will be continuing on in the competition, starting with our fourth rank and moving up." Da-Eun shuffled through her cue cards and took a deep breath, staring into the camera.

I gave Mina's hand a tight squeeze, trying to give her any bit of comfort that I could. I saw her give a faint smile out of the corner of my eye as she returned the squeeze.

"In fourth rank..." Da-Eun started. "A young man who has shown incredible promise with his lyricism and talent in rapping...Joo-Won!" I recognized the male who stepped forward as the one who wrote an amazing rap for his hip-hop piece during the second round. He had earned a standing ovation from the crowd for his speed and precision. Joo-Won gave a deep bow and stepped forward from the line.

Da-Eun did not delay in continuing, "In third rank, we have a girl who has continually impressed us with her singing and musical abilities." I couldn't stop the smile from forming on my face as I predicted the words that Da-Eun would speak next. "Mina!" Mina slapped her hand over her mouth in disbelief as she stepped forward, bowing over and over in rapid succession.

As I watched Mina make her way forward, reality had finally hit me...we were down to the final two ranks. Of course, I knew that I was moving forward in the competition due to the circumstances of my situation, but I didn't expect for my rank to be so high. I had honestly expected to proceed only by the skin of my teeth- a consequence of not only the scandal, but my own shortcomings. This was becoming real for me. The possibility of succeeding and proving my worth in the industry.