(54.5. Escape)

The blade was long, I could feel it hit the bone. I let out another scream as she pulled the knife out. "I swear to you I have nothing to do with Nichols, I'm a detective in the Chicago Police Department." I knew that telling them wouldn't do any harm since that's where they picked me up.

"Yes, that is smart. Nichols had someone working for him with the cops, no wonder he got away for so long." An evil smile appeared on her face. She swung her knife again creating a cut on my cheek. I hissed, this pain was bearable unlike my thigh, which was now dripping with blood. "Now tell me where is my product!?!" She yelled at my face, her spit hitting my skin.

"I swear on my mother's grave, I don't know anything," I repeated, firmly.

And there was that angry look again as she took the knife one more time and stabbed at my other thigh, I let out another scream. "LIAR!" She yelled.

This went on for what felt like an eternity, I didn't know what to tell her but at the same time I slowly came up with a plan, a lie that she would believe, allowing me to somehow contact the team.

At this point I had stab wounds all through my legs, I knew she wasn't stabbing my upper body to keep me alive longer, so that I could keep talking but she would still slice through my arms and chest, creating smaller cuts. I felt my wrists getting more and more red as I pulled and tugged and tensed from all the pain.

"I will ask you one more time! Where did Nichols put my product!" I could tell her patience was growing thinner, anger becoming more prominent in her face.

"Fine, I'll talk, I'll talk, just don't kill me." I pretended to let fear give in to me, which wasn't hard, I knew that this wouldn't go on much longer and she wouldn't let me go.

"Go on." She put down her knife and leaned in front of me.

"It's hidden, in a storage unit, not even I know where it is I swear, but he told me-" I had to catch my breath from all of the pain coursing through my body. "he told me that when it was safe to move the product to call a number, call them and give them the all-clear and give them an address...that's all I know." I tried to sound as convincing as possible.

"Right you expect me to believe that?" I could tell she was checking for any signs of a lie.

"It's the truth, and it's all I know." I kept my composure.

"Give me your phone." She spoke to one of the men and he handed her a phone.

"I'll call the number, you speak, if I hear any signs of a lie, if you call for help I will shoot you." She pointed a gun at my head. "Tell them to drop the product off at the warehouse by the docks."

"Okay." I nodded in agreement. I gave her Jay's number, he would pick up, I knew he would.

"Alright, I will not hesitate to shoot." She repeated as she pressed the call button.

The number started dialing and I finally heard Jay's voice. "Ryan, it's y/n." I knew I had to get a word in fast before he said anything else. "It's all clear, the product can be moved."

"We got word the cobalt phantoms are roaming around-" Jay spoke and I saw panic fill the woman's eyes. "Are you sure it's safe to move?" He continued asking.

The woman glared at me, expecting me to come up with a quick explanation or excuse. "I took care of it, move the product, there's a warehouse by the docks, leave it there." The woman lifted up 10 fingers mouthing 'minutes'. "You have 10 minutes," I repeated and she hung up.

I admit that I was terrified to know what would happen after those 10 minutes were up, and I just hoped I had managed to keep them on the line long enough so they could track my location.