(20.2. Dr. Dean Reybold)

*Inspired by Chicago Fire S4 Ep 10 The beating heart, Chicago Med S1 Ep 5 Malignant, and Chicago PD S3 Ep 10 Now I'm God.

Jay and I had called Voight telling them about what we found out. Once the team had arrived Sharon had given us a room to set up upstairs.

Jay and I started explaining to the team what Ethan had told us until now. Sharon had told us that she couldn't give us much more information because of doctor-patient confidentiality so until patients or family members gave us permission there wasn't much else we could do. Or so we thought.

"Excuse me." Natalie knocked on the door.

"Come in Dr.Manning," Voight told her.

"Look I don't know if this is legal and I don't care right now but we just got another patient in with a chemo overdose, here's her purse, have a look, see if you can find anything useful." She said handing me the purse.

I plopped the contents on the center of the table and everyone began having a look. "Thanks, Natalie," I told her before she went outside.

"She's got a doctor's card here." Kev lifted up a small piece of paper. "Doctor Dean Reybold." He readout.

I felt myself let out a quiet gasp before Erin and I turned to look at each other. Hank walked out then and I gestured for Erin to go after him. I then turned to face Alvin who was wearing the same expression as me.

"What? What's wrong?" Adam asked.

Alvin gave me a nod assuring me it was ok to speak. "Dr. Dean Reybold treated Camille Voight, Hank's wife when she..." I took a deep breath and felt my eyes watered at the possibility I considered. "when she had cancer." I finished.

Everyone then adopted the same shocked and pitiful expression. "We need to find out more about what he's been doing to these women," Alvin said.

—————————-
Hank, Erin, and Jay went to Doctor Reybolds clinic to question and possibly arrest him while the rest of us either went back to the precinct or stayed in the hospital.

I drove to the precinct with Adam so we could work with Mouse to get more information on these women.

We got out of the car and walked into the district. "I'll be up in a sec," I told Adam waving him off. I walked up to Trudy. "D'you hear?" I asked her once I was close enough.

She sighed. "Alvin called me. How's Hank?" She asked me.

I shook my head. "Angry." was all I said.

"How are you?" She asked me.

I took a deep breath. "Angry." My eyes watered again but this time I let a few tears fall down my cheeks wiping them quickly. She walked around the counter and hugged me.

"D'you wanna hear something good?" She asked me.

"Yes please." I laughed at her way of comforting me.

"I said yes to Mouch." She said fluttering her fingers in front of me which now held a ring.

I gave her a sincere smile. "I knew you'd screw your head back on." I joked making her laugh.

"Now go get this son of a b*tch." She grabbed my head and kissed my forehead.

——————-

Everyone knew exactly what Dean Reybold had done, how he took everything from so many innocent women. The problem we know had was with his lawyer and trying to get him charged for the murder of the 42 women he lied to and took their lives from.

I sighed as I was taking a look at the history of another one of Reybolds victims at my desk. Rubbing my eyes that were stinging from lack of sleep and how much strain I had put on them.

"Y/l/n, Halstead, you're done for the day, go home and rest." We heard Hank say from his office.

"Sarge we can-" I started.

"You've been working for 2 days straight. Go home, we'll call you if we need anything." He said firmly.

I nodded. I picked up my coat and things and Jay did the same and we both headed down together. Jay drove and I was silent the whole time.

"Let's stop for a pizza," Jay suggested.

"Mhm" I agreed not giving it much thought.

"What kind d'you want?" Jay asked me once we stopped at Ginos.

"You chose." I gave Jay short answers.

We made it home and I still wasn't saying much. Jay set the pizza down in front of the tv and I quietly made my way to the bathroom to wash my face, take my bra off and put on my PJs. I sighed feeling super tired as I made my way back outside to Jay who was sitting on the couch with plates and cups for us.

"y/n talk to me please," Jay asked me once I sat down next to him.

"Ok, sorry, you're right. I...yesterday, today it's all be a lot." I told him and I felt my eyes water. "You know when I told you Cindy and Hermann and Hank and Camille looked after me sometimes when I was young." he nodded. "Well they all sort of became like parents to me so it just sucks seeing Hermann on the verge of death, Cindy is distraught by it but still keeping that beautiful smile she always has." I started crying. "And Camille...I remember seeing her...how much pain she was in and for all to it be a lie."

Jay grabbed me and pulled me into his chest. "I'm sorry." was all he said. "When my mother was...dying." his voice quivered. "I couldn't bear to see her that way...that's one of the reasons I joined the rangers...I should've been there for Will, for my Dad, for my Mom." I could see the regret in his eyes. "I think it's important to remember the moments you had with her and don't dwell too much on the what if's." He told me.

I nodded in agreement. "You know you're really wise when you wanna be." I laughed wiping some tears off my face.

"I save it for special occasions." He joked wiping the last few tears off my face before giving me a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you, Jay Halstead," I said leaning over to give him a kiss.

"I love you more y/n y/l/n," he said leaning into me this time for another kiss.

We started eating and just before we were gonna head to bed I got a call from Mouch. "Hey, is everything okay?" I answered prepared to get dressed if he told me to go.

"Yeah yeah, just wanted to let you know Hermann's stable, Dr.Rhodes says he's gonna be fine." I heard the relief in his voice.

I sighed in relief as well. "Thank God." I smiled. "By the way Mouch, congratulations on your engagement," I told him and I could just about see him smiling from the other side of the phone.

"Thank you y/n, good night." He said.

"Good night Mouch." I hung up and Jay was ready for me to tell him what happened. I told him Hermann was stable and he smiled giving me a celebratory high five before pulling me into bed with him.

"Let's get some sleep now okay?" kissing the tip of my nose making me scrunch up my nose.

"Okay, but you have to stay like this." I turned and buried my back in Jay's chest, pulling his arms over me.

He laughed. "Okay, I promise we'll stay like this." He leaned over and kissed my cheek before turning off the light.

I think it was out of sheer exhaustion that I was able to fall asleep that night, still not being able to take Reybolds case out of my mind.