(20.3. Trial)

*Inspired by Chicago Fire S4 Ep 10 The beating heart, Chicago Med S1 Ep 5 Malignant, and Chicago PD S3 Ep 10 Now I'm God.

Today was the day of Reybolds trial, I had never been this nervous for a case in my whole career. I started getting dressed while Jay showered, I wore a fitted navy suit with a white shirt and black heels.

He walked out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist. "You look hot...maybe you should show up like that." I teased him.

"Hmm, maybe I should." He laughed walking over to kiss my forehead before plopping on the bed next to me. He put his arm around my bum as I did the straps on my shoes.

"C, mon we have to be there in an hour." I patted his bare and hard abdomin.

He sighed. "Fine." He got up but not before giving me a kiss on the cheek before pulling a black ironed-out suit from the closet.

I suddenly remembered. "Oh my god," I spoke out surprised.

"What what's wrong?" He asked me getting concerned.

"Jay, the move in. I completely forgot you were supposed to move in this week, I mean you've been paying rent at your other place-" I began rambling feeling bad for forgetting something so important in our relationship.

"Hey hey hey, calm down." Jay grabbed my hands from the air holding them in his. "It's okay, I didn't forget but this week was crazier than we expected, it's nobody's fault, especially not yours." He gave me a reassuring smile. "And don't worry about it I emptied out my place a couple of days ago, brought everything in already," he said getting up and walking to the closet that he opened to show me was filled with both our clothes.

"I have no idea how I didn't realize. I'm sorry, we should celebrate." I tried to think of a way to make it up to him.

"We will, once this is all over." He grabbed my head gently and kissed the top of it walking back to get dressed.

______

The trial was almost started, I felt sick to my stomach from the nerves causing me to breathe heavily, and keep placing my hand on my stomach a few times a minute just before the trial started.

"Are you pregnant or something?" Adam asked me laughing nervously.

"What? No, I'm nervous stupid." I shoved Adam making him laugh as well as the rest of the team but I saw Jay was a little worried. "Jay I'm not pregnant!" I whisper shouted at him.

"No, yeah, of course not." He laughed but I could tell he was still a little worried. I rolled my eyes at him.

The trial was now starting. We all walked in and took a seat. Sitting there not being able to say anything and seeing how all of those women whose lives were destroyed by Reybold weren't getting justice was hell. There were so many times I simply wanted to get up and say my piece but it wasn't possible.

Things weren't going very well so the lawyer working our case asked for a break. We all walked out of the courtroom to stretch our legs and eat something quickly.

"This isn't looking good." I was the first one to speak when we gathered by a food cart outside.

"Hank needs to take the stand otherwise this is over," Antonio spoke.

We all nodded in agreement. I walked over to Erin and took her hand guiding her away with me. "I'm sorry for not asking you earlier, but how are you doing?" I asked her.

She teared up a little. "It's hell, isn't it? knowing that Camille could still be here today?" she asked me.

I teared up as well. "Yeah, yeah it is. But someone really wise once told me that we should be grateful for the times we got to spend with our deceased love ones, and not dwell on what could have been." I told her shifting my eyesight behind her to look at Jay who hadn't taken his eyes off me.

"I still want that son of a b*tch to pay." She laughed.

"Yeah, me too." I laughed with her. I gave her a hug before we both walked back to the rest of the team.

Once we were back inside the courtroom we were all pleased to see Hank was able to take the stand. And after some heated questioning from both lawyers a window opened where we were able to get the jury to agree to open the case to the other 42 victims that weren't being done justice. This was it. This was going to bring him down for sure.

Sure enough, after Hank finished giving his statement on all of the victims and the jury voted Reybold was found guilty on all counts. Even so, Reybold wasn't able to keep his mouth shut as he was dragged out of the courtroom.

Erin and I turned to each other and just hugged tightly thankful for justice being brought to all these women, to Camille. Hank gave us both a grateful look that we returned.

______

The team decided to head to the bar for a celebratory drink, except Hank who we all understood would want space right now.

I was surprised to see Hermann behind the bar when we walked in. "HERMANN!" I yelled in happiness running behind the counter to hug him.

"Ahh, darling." He huffed as I embraced him. "Not too tight, still recovering." He said as he hugged me back.

"Wait, shouldn't you be like in a wheelchair or something?" I asked him.

"Nah, doc says I'm all good, just need to take it easy, but I had to come to have a drink for Camille." He winked at me. "Congratulations guys," he said to the rest of the team and they all bowed their heads down slightly to him.

After beers were passed around, to the guys from 51 and med and everyone had a drink on hand Hermann got everyone's attention. "I don't think I'm equipped to give this speech so I'm gonna pass it on to my dearest y/n." he finished pointing over to me.

I got a little nervous but got up with my drink. "Uhmm, I'm not good at this." I started making everyone laugh. "These past few days have been nothing short of crazy, tough, and scary. But if there's something I've learnt from all of this is how we can all overcome these situations when we're surrounded by such amazing colleagues, friends...family, I think we've all done an amazing job... So before I start crying." I laughed feeling myself tearing up. "I want to raise a toast to a couple of people, to Camille Voight and the 42 other victims, to Hermann" I waved my drink over in his direction. "and to all of us. Love you guys." I said lifting my drink up.

"Love you!!" Was heard from several people across the room as everyone lifted their drinks up before taking a sip.

I sat back down next to Jay. "Cheers to us moving in." He whispered in my ear lifting his drink up slightly.

"Cheers." I smiled clinking my beer bottle with his before taking another sip and then giving him a kiss. "Thank you for being there for me during this," I told him looking up into his gorgeous blue eyes.

"Always." He whispered giving me another kiss.

Once Jay and I got home we decided to keep the move in celebration going, starting in the living room, and finishing in the bedroom. ;)