(10. My best friend)

I headed up to the office after grabbing a cup of coffee. I sat down at my desk and saw someone come up the stairs with Jay.

"Morning." Jay shot me a smile.

"Morning," I said a little confused while taking off my coat waiting for him to introduce me to his friend.

"Oh, this is Greg Gerwitz, aka Mouse, Mouse this is y/n." Jay finally introduced us. Mouse extended his hand out.

"Nice to meet you Mouse." I shook his hand.

"So you're the infamous y/n." Mouse smiled.

"Man, shut up!" Jay pulled him away leaving me confused as to what Jay had told Mouse about me.

____

In today's case, Adam was going undercover into a protester group, the case started out pretty simple until one protester was found dead after being thrown out of a window from a hotel's 23rd floor. I could tell Adam was pretty shaken about it since he had received a phone call from the girl only moments before she was dead.   

For this case, I was partnered up with Jay. Things were pretty awkward at first and we sat in the car in silence as we drove to a lead.

"So what did Mouse mean this morning? What have you told him about me?" I broke the silence turning to face him.

He kept looking at the road and I only saw a smile creep in the corner of his mouth. "Nothing, he likes annoying me." He replied.

"Mhmm," I replied unconvinced earning a laugh from Jay. "Where d'you two meet?" I asked him.

"We were in the rangers, we went through some stuff together and we just took different paths after." I saw his smile disappear.

"He seems like a good guy," I told him and his phone started ringing.

"Can you get that?" He asked me.

"Sure." I picked up his phone. "Hello? yes, one second." I covered the phone. "Uhmm, it's something about your brother, they wanna talk to you," I told him and he gestured for me to pass the phone.

"Hello?" Jay listened to the guy on the end of the phone "Alright, I'm on my way." He hung up and I could tell he was annoyed.

"Everything ok?" I asked him.

"It better be," he said through gritted teeth.

He turned the car around and we started driving to the district. "Wait where are we going?" I asked him.

"I'm dropping you off at the district and then I have to go take care of something." He told me.

"Why don't you just take me with you?" I tried to reason with him.

"I just...I have to deal with this on my own." He didn't turn to look at me and kept his eyes on the road.

I rolled my eyes not wanting to argue with him. We arrived at the district and I hopped out of the car. "Jay please be careful," I told him through the car window before he drove away.

"I'll be fine, don't worry about it. I'll be back soon." He told me and drove off.

I walked up to the district and did some quick paperwork. I had nothing else to do so I went to sit with Nadia who was also doing some paperwork. "Hey, Nadi." I sat down beside her.

"Hey, where's Jay?" She asked me.

I huffed. "He had to go deal with something on his own." I mocked his voice.

Nadia laughed. "How's the case going?" She pointed at the board.

"Alright, I mean Ruzek's really deep in this, he's taken the lead mostly so just waiting for him to come back with more information before we make a move," I explained.

"I hope he knows it wasn't his fault," Nadia commented and I nodded in agreement.

"Hey, so I was thinking, we never went to that dinner you promised me so how about this weekend? Dinner at my place? and we can have a girls' night, you can sleepover." I proposed.

"I'd love that." She had that beautiful smile on her face that I loved so much.

"Look, I'd tell you to invite Erin but I don't think she likes me," I confessed.

She laughed again. "Don't worry about it, she knows you're my best friend."

"Wait I am?" I dramatically placed a hand on my heart with a pout.

"Well yeah, I mean Erin's helped me out so much, I owe her a lot. But my relationship with you, it's just different." She smiled.

"Awww, you're my best friend too." I leaned down to hug her.

Jay walked in then, a tall redhead behind him. Jay stood in front of me and let out a big sigh. "This is my brother Will, he's no fun so I wouldn't talk to him if I were you." He said before walking away. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Will, I'm y/n, it's a pleasure to meet you." I extended my hand out to Will. "This is Nadia, my best friend." I winked at her earning a big smile from her.

He looked me up and down. "Wow, you must be the girl that's got Jay all crazy." He smirked.

"Will get over here and shut up!" Jay yelled at his brother from the coffee room.

"What?" I asked confused.

"No man, I mean I get it. You're beautiful." Will walked slowly to the coffee room.

I stifled a laugh while looking down at my feet a little embarrassed. I turned to look at Jay who was getting red.

Jay stayed silent glaring at his brother. "Well if he isn't going to say anything." Will shrugged. "I'd love to get dinner some time y/n, get to know each other, share a few stories about my brother."

"That sounds nice." I laughed.

"Will she has a boyfriend, leave her alone!" Jay shouted at his brother again before shutting the door.

I was a little confused but said nothing and simply went over to sit at my desk, but I couldn't stop smiling. I looked into the coffee room and saw Jay scolding Will before he realized I was staring and shut the blinds. 

"So who are you dating?" Nadia asked me from her desk laughing.

"No one, Jay just can't get it through his head that Kelly and I are just friends," I told her.

"Well in that case who are you gonna pick?" She asked me.

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my brows.

"Oh c, mon, they're all obviously into you, but between the Halsteads which one are you picking?" She asked me.

"You're talking nonsense Nadi," I rolled my eyes at her playfully. "But I think you know who I'd pick." I winked at her and she giggled.

After a couple of minutes Jay and Will walked out of the coffee room. Will passed by my desk slowly. "See you later y/n, it was a pleasure to meet you." He extended his hand out again with a huge smirk.

"Pleasure's all mine. If you need anything let us know." I replied and I couldn't help but smile back.

"I might actually so could I have your number?" Will's smirk grew wider if that was even possible.

"WILL! I swear." Jay grabbed his brothers jacket and pulled him away from me. Nadia and I once again just laughed at the two brothers.