Christmas Special

Hank had given me a couple of days off after the whole fiasco. Jay wanted to stay home to make sure I was okay but insisted he got back to the work. In the end, he agreed to go back only for a couple of days and he'd take a couple of days off near the weekend. 

"Alright, I've brought all of the decorations up from the unit downstairs, the tree is up, please do not strain yourself," Jay begged me as he put his coat on ready to head to work. 

"Jay I'm fine, I promise I'll be careful." I leaned forward to give him a quick kiss. 

"Call me if you need anything. I made reservations at Steak 48 tomorrow night." Jay smiled, it was his favorite place, but we would only go for special occasions and it was pretty hard to get a table. 

"Okay." I laughed. "I'll plan an outfit after I finished decorating." I held the door open for him. 

"Alright, see you later." He gave me another quick kiss.

"Love you." We both said in unison and he ran down. 

_______

I connected my phone to the speaker and put on a Christmas playlist as I began the late process of decorating our Christmas tree. I was about halfway through wrapping the Christmas lights around the tree when I heard my phone ringing. 

"Hello?" I picked up my phone not bothering to look at who was calling. 

"Hey y/n it's Brett." I  heard her voice. 

I felt a wave of worry fill me, Brett and I got along but we mostly chatted at Molly's and I couldn't help but think the worst getting a call from her since it was unusual. "Hey, is everything okay?" I dropped the lights and sat on the couch.

"Yeah, no everything's fine. I just needed a chat and I remembered you were home." She sounded flustered. 

"Oh yeah of course, what's up?" 

"Tensions are just super high at the firehouse right now, Gabby is gone and Kelly and Stella are fighting, Boden's all stressed about Grisom. He's changed our calendar and now we have to come in on Christmas Eve. I feel like I have no one to talk to." 

"I'm sorry Brett, I asked Casey if they needed any help with the Boden situation but he told me they'd sort it out and just know you can call and come over any time. So who's cooking on Christmas Eve?" 

"Thanks y/n. Uhmm, not sure, Cindy offered to come in but Hermann told her to stay with the kids. I guess we'll just have some leftovers." I heard the alarm on her side. "I gotta go, thanks for the chat." 

"Alright, be safe." I managed to say before she hung up. 

_____

I continued decorating the tree but I couldn't stop thinking about what Brett had told me. I knew that the guys at 51 were having a rough time and I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable dining at one of the best restaurants in Chicago while my fire family was having leftovers.

I was making some hot cocoa when I heard the door open. "Baby I'm home." I heard Jay's voice. 

"Hey, how was your day?" I moved into view as he took off his coat and belt. 

"Good." He walked over, pulling me into his chest and giving me a kiss. I said nothing else and just kept looking up at him. "What's wrong?" I loved that he knew me so well. 

"Uhmm, nothing." I didn't want to bring it up right now, I turned to keep stirring the chocolate. 

"Spit it out." He encouraged me. 

"Brett called today." I started, shutting off the stove. 

"And-" Jay crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back on the kitchen counter.