Taking the Initiative

There was an issue that Baekhyun had been contemplating for a bit of a while. A confession. His eyes drifted over to the kid a few rows ahead of him, sitting near the windows, Oh Sehun. He admired him for a while, twiddling with his fingers. Then he snapped out of it when he remembered how he needed to keep up with the lesson and take as many notes as he could if he wanted to stay on top of the ranking chart. Even though the majority of his mind was focused on the teacher, part of his mind was still filled with him.

Everything went back two years ago, early in the year. It was raining and Baekhyun had arrived late to school that day. No one was in the cubby area. Baekhyun was trying to hurry, not wanting to miss anything important in that period. In his haste, he became clumsy. The water caused his feet to slip from right under him. His bag slipped itself off his shoulders and emptied half of his belongings on the damp floor, getting his notebooks somewhat wet.

Cursing, Baekhyun hurried to save his materials from further damage, forgetting about himself. His jeans were getting soaked in the knees, but Baekhyun didn't care at the moment. He just needed his materials and to change into his school shoes. Then, he'd be off to class and face another bump in the road: his teacher. But, he'd get to that later.

Unexpectedly, a hand came down and helped Baekhyun pick up the scattered belongings. When offered one of his notebooks back, Baekhyun took it subconsciously, then upon realizing there was another person with him, he looked up.

The boy towering over him had brown hair with side swept bangs. His face was expressionless. Baekhyun realized he was staring for a bit too long and began to put his things back in his bag. When he was done, he started to come off the floor. The boy took Baekhyun's arm and helped him up.

"Thanks," Baekhyun said, giving the boy a smile.

The boy stared at him a few seconds in silence before answering. "No problem."

Then, without another word, the boy stuffed his hands into his pockets, turned and walked away, leaving Baekhyun alone. It took a while for Baekhyun to snap out of it and remembered that he was late for class. It was the beginning of a new year, too! He needed to make a good impression on his teachers and coming in for class late wasn't going to do it.

Baekhyun stumbled in class, prepared for a bombardment of humiliating jokes and lecture points from the teacher. Luckily for him, the teacher just let it slip by. He took a seat in the middle of the room, being surrounded by eyes that were glued on him, the late student.

Later, Baekhyun discovered that the boy he met early that morning was named Oh Sehun. Surprisingly, Sehun was in the same class. He came in thirty minutes after Baekhyun joined the class. This puzzled Baekhyun a bit, remembering how Sehun had left first, but he ended up not dwelling on the strange fact for too long. He also wondered how he'd never seen him before and as to why the teacher didn't bitch at him for being absent for most of the year's beginning so far.

Ever since that day, Baekhyun had been secretly admiring Oh Sehun. Since then, Sehun had gone from brown to the entire spectrum in terms of hair color. Right now, Sehun was blonde, which Baekhyun thought looked nice on him, as did every hair color and hair style.

Baekhyun noticed Sehun everywhere. To him, he stuck out like a sore thumb. He observed him and created an image of Sehun that he began to feel comfort in. To him, Sehun was kind. In all the years, Sehun had never pushed, bullied, yelled, or cursed anything or anyone. Sehun had an expressionless face for the most part, which would've classified him as "cold" by other students, but deep inside, Baekhyun felt like that wasn't the case at all.

Everything about Sehun was genuinely perfect, except for his friends, which baffled Baekhyun. They weren't the type of friends who he'd figure Sehun would ever hang out with. Chanyeol was a big loud mouth, which was full of his parents' overflowing income of money. His nickname was "The Happy Virus" but there was nothing contagious about him and his annoyingness. Kai's wallet was as big as Chanyeol's. Somewhat like him, Kai was known for being an asshole. Both were notorious for parties and hookups.