Haunted heart

Ghost

Shoyo Hinata

It's cloudy again today

Since your best friend Hinata died the sky has always seemed cloudy, no longer bright and cheery. It was an accident that took him away just a few years ago. His family had moved out of the house they lived in for years.

It's just too painful

They had said on the day of the move you couldn't blame them. You yourself used to walk by his house everyday but after that day you couldn't bring yourself to do so. Every time you did it felt like he was going to come running out of his house to greet you with the biggest smile. Now just walking a different way even if it was longer. From what you hear no one has brought the house leaving it to decay. There were times when you thought about visiting the old place. Why you're not too sure maybe to be closer?

Looking back up at the sky, it's been years now.... Maybe it's not such a bad idea... what the hell...not like I got much to do anyways... it would be like old times... Driven only by impulsiveness you grabbed an umbrella before heading out the door to your best friend's house.

It felt like you've been standing in front of the house for hours even though the cloud had gotten darker but luckily the rain was still holding out. Taking a deep breath, you stepped up to the door trying the door knob you found that it was locked. Of course, it would be...

You turned to go to try and get home before the rain started stopping only when a thought came to mind. Looking to the side there were rocks picking one up then turning it over there was a key hidden inside. Guess they forget about it... how convenient...

Unlocking the door, you step inside what was once warm and inviting was now cold and bleak. You know what every room had been spending most weekends here hanging out with him. They really did leave this place to rot.

There was a thick coat of dust everywhere nothing looked like it had been cleaned or taken care of in years. The walls were a much deeper color than they were before, on the ceiling you could see some spots that looked like there were links. The floors didn't seem that great either. Moving around every crack makes you think they may give way. It felt like it was just yesterday when you were last here hearing the laughter and talking about everything and nothing. Walking through the empty rooms seeing memories in each one. The last place you went to was his old bedroom, one of the last places you were with him. Standing in the middle of the empty room taking it all in you've spent so many years in this room with him and having all those memories rush back is what finally made the tears fall. Feeling a cold hand on your face is what made you jump back looking around only to see no one there.

"Is someone there?"

Yes

it wrote against your back horrified you ran out of the house not stopping until you made it home soaked from the pouring rain that had started.

That night you laid in bed wondering what had happened in that house. Maybe I was just imagining it. But I know what I felt... turning over for what felt like the hundredth time that night finally feeling as though you could actually get some sleep. There was a coldness that started to grow on the empty side of your bed.

"Are you guys cold?" You asked your friends; you all were hanging around the library working on some essays for your college classes.

" I mean yeah it's always cold in the library." One spoke.

" It's better, it's hot as hell outside." The other chimed in.

It's hot outside? Sure, enough looking up the weather it was 90 degrees outside but to you it left like Winter no matter where you went. Maybe I'm coming down with something.

Weeks passed with no other symptoms however there were other odd things that started to happen. Items would be moved at first you thought you had done it then forget but that proved to not be the case when you specifically place some papers on your desk that can be moved to the bed. Another oddity was of the feeling of eyes always on you no matter where you go.

" I feel like I'm losing my mind." Sitting on your friend's bed.

"I think it's stress."

"Stress doesn't make you feel like there are eyes on you 24/7 or like It's winter all the time."

"Will.... Different people react differently."

Seeing that this was going nowhere you left. Why isn't no one listening to me? At least if he was here, he would listen.... You stopped for a moment and an idea popped into your head and so you made your way to Hinata's house.

You sat in the middle of the room wondering if this was even going to make you feel better but what leas did you have to lose?

" Hey Hinata," you greeted the room. " I know it's been a while and we really didn't get a chance to talk."

Silent was the only thing you get in return but it wasn't that back. You went on to talk about your life since he passed from graduating high school to getting into college. Then finally you talked about the weird stuff that had been happening lately.

" I just don't know what to do anymore. It seems every time I talk about it with someone, they want to say it's this or that whether it makes sense or not."

Somehow not hearing a reply made you feel better just having the old house listen to what was happening was enough. Soon you got up getting ready to leave

" I'll come by again soon."

Which you did, once a week turned into every other day until you graduate and with some money you've saved you bought the house for next to nothing considering it had been on the market for so long. Everything seemed like it was coming together nonetheless there were some down sides. One of the main ones being that since it had been years since someone looked over the place it did need some repairs however it was like no matter what you changed or fixed it would go back to how it was like it was never touched. For one thing the doors that led outside would get stuck to the point you basically have to throw your whole body into them before they opened.

You had someone look at them. All they said was that there was nothing wrong with the frame and that maybe something was wrong with the door itself but changing the door, handle and lock didn't seem to help at all. So, you decided to work on them later. For now, you change gears into cleaning the house. After a long day of cleaning the one room you had left was Hinata's. Taking extra care to make it even more spotless than it ever was. The final place was his closet opening it up. There was an even thicker layer of dust then there was anywhere else making you step back having a coughing fit from it all.

As you were sweeping the floor of the closest you noticed something was off about one of the boards. Taking a closer look, it was completely loose enough to where you could lift it. That's when you found it, a mess of different items, pieces of paper, pictures, hair.... hair?

Taking the items out of the hole in the floor to get a better look you saw that the picture was... of you. Some were from far away others were close up. Papers that you had written on and other items were things that you thought you had lost a long time ago, even some of your hair in a bag.

"What the hell is this?"

"Do you like it?" came an all too familiar voice.

"Hinata? You looked around only to see a blue light coming from the bedroom. Peering around the closet door you see him. There he stood in the middle of the room, his body now transparent glowing.

He smiled "I was wondering when you were going to start seeing me. It wasn't very nice that you were ignoring me, you know."

There was nothing you could say at the moment.

"But that's ok I forget you. Besides, we're going to be spending a lot more time together from now on! Isn't that great?"